what CD buy for tweaking? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2005, 08:50 AM   #1
LennyK is offline LennyK  Poland
diyAudio Member

Talking what CD buy for tweaking?

Hi

Beacuse my old CD is dead now I'm looking for something "new". My plans are to tweak it a "litle bit" .
I already have good clock, I'm thinking about new I/V stage (Jocko's) and get rid of "feedback type" PSU (new PSU with CCS, LEDs and CFP transistors).
So - I need CD with good laser/servo, digital filter and DAC chip. Rest I will build myself. I have about 70-100 Euros for used CD, the less the price - the better of course .

I was thinking about it for a while and I found 3 options (are you still with me?):

1. something from Philips with 1541 (maybe Philips CD820, 830, Marantz CD-80 for egzample):

+ good, reliable laser
+ TDA1541 (or maybe I sholud pu it on "-" side?)
+ lot of space inside, at least in Marantz
- our long time favourite SSA7220 (no I dont want to go NOS, forget about 1 bit DACs to)*
- old Philips CD looks a litle like "amstrad" style, if you know what I mean, at least compared to my option 2

2. something from Denon (like DCD 890, DCD735 etc...)
+ NPC digital filters
+ good looking units
+- BB DACs (yeah, I know PCM56/61 is not the "top", but is it better than TDAs ?)
- no much space for tweaks inside
- SONY laser

3. buy something else and put PCM1730 inside (BB dac with 8x ov. filter inside - I forgot to write that I have it to, even with DIL adapter, so it's "visible" now )

It would be great to get something on PCM63, but I suppose that it's no on my budget, moreover - CDs on this chip are not common in my country .

I'm looking forward to see what do you think about my "el cheapo" CD project. Remember - 100 euro, multibit DAC, oversampling, what to buy?

It's long post I know

best regards

Lenny

* - please dont start oversampling war all over again, I want to bo on oversampled side

Hide this!Advertise here!