No reclocking DAC. Are they fine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

I read somewhere that some external dacs don't reclock the incoming digital signal ( they are slave to the transport).
Someone say that this could give a more natural sounding dac.
I would like to hear some experts' opinion.

Thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Dear Sirs,

I would like to hear some comments about the reclocking process.
What is your experience?
I have an external dac (Behringer SRC 2496) and prefer the sound without reclocking (i.e. using the clock embedded in the incoming SPDIF digital signal).
It seems indeed more natural and less digital to me.

Kind regards,

beppe61
ITALY:D

If the source has a stable clock and low jitter on output, then it's no problem sync'ing on it.

If not, better get a dac with buffer and internal clock.

The idea is to get the bits to the dac at the exact time they are supposed to, no matter which method you use to accomplish this.

danb1974 said:
If the source has a stable clock and low jitter on output, then it's no problem sync'ing on it.

If not, better get a dac with buffer and internal clock.

The idea is to get the bits to the dac at the exact time they are supposed to, no matter which method you use to accomplish this.

It IS a problem because the way SPDIF is coded, much jitter is induced in the interface, so a wide bandwidth PLL at the DAC is a disaster, no matter how clean the drive is.

The conversion process is of utmost importance as jitter induces distortion in the DAC, hence the DAC clock should be of lowest jitter possible. In addition all signals entering the DAC chip should be reclocked as to reduce on-chip crosstalk.

best

beppe61 said:
I read somewhere that some external dacs don't reclock the incoming digital signal ( they are slave to the transport).
Actually, most of them

beppe61 said:
I would like to hear some comments about the reclocking process.
What is your experience?
What I got implementing synchronous reclocking:
1) Resolution enhancement.
2) My computer 10m away and CD transport sound identically.
3) Digital cables sound the same :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: Re: No reclocking DAC. Are they fine?

stolbovoy said:
3) Digital cables sound the same :)

I thought that, then had to lengthen a digital (S/PDIF) cable, and it didn't sound as good. As an engineer, I thought, "It's only 1s and 0s, so why the difference?" So I looked at the characteristic impedance of the cable and its termination. Whoops. The connection was generating jitter because of the Manchester coding violation alluded to by Guido plus mismatched impedances. What you need is a proper cable with guaranteed matched source and desitination impedances; then they'll all sound the same.

Re: Re: Re: No reclocking DAC. Are they fine?

The connection was generating jitter because of the Manchester coding violation alluded to by Guido plus mismatched impedances.
Typically jitter does nothing with Manchester encoding violation. One will receive the same data as sent with almost any junk cable/termination at short distances. Problem is in a clock recovery.

Dear Sirs,

I want to thank you all for your extremely kind and very valuable reply.
For the first time I get very valuable responses to my doubts.
Sadly the task to connect adequately a transport and a dac seems very difficult to make.
Actually I hoped it was simpler.
Anyway you have been very helpful for me understanding something more of the phenomena.

Thank you very much sincerely.

Kind regards,

beppe61

"It's only 1s and 0s, so why the difference?"

Every bandlimited system with non static input data signals induces jitter, because the non harmonic part of the differential equation is not zero or better said not equal for every time interval. Of course there are other differences like signal dispersion, unstable reference points by noisy power supplies, ground bouncing and probably some more.

Timing also in the digital domain is an analog phenomenon as there are no electrical '0's and '1's but only (analog) signal levels.

Re: Re: Re: Re: No reclocking DAC. Are they fine?

stolbovoy said:
Typically jitter does nothing with Manchester encoding violation. One will receive the same data as sent with almost any junk cable/termination at short distances. Problem is in a clock recovery.

Hi,

True, problem is in the recovery (allthough at the sending end much can be gained too)

But in this discussion one assumed a wide bandwidth PLL at the receiving end. In that case data related jitter is the result, due to the coding type. Much wordse is the LF jitter induced due to slowly varying near DC content. That is much more difficult to filter out.

Crystal CS8415 has a PLL running at the preambles which are always on the same distance, independing on the data content.

Those fond of async reclocking: Be aware that timing errors are converted into data errors.....

best

Jocko Homo said:
Try using a longer cable, with proper terminations.
Then tell me that you don't hear a difference.
Jocko

Dear Mr. Jocko,

Don't think you can get off cheaply (eh, eh).
Longer cable - how much long?
Proper terminations - are you referring to any particular brand and/or model of RCA (they unfortunately are RCA)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Guido Tent said:

1.5m (say 6 ft) will do
Get rid of RCA, use BNC instead (the 75 ohms)

Dear Mr. Tent,

thank you sincerely for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
At present I am using a 1m SUPRA mod.Trico digital cable.
I am really sorry to learn that I have no hopes to find usable digital cable terminated with RCA.
Are they all equally bad for SPDIF digital transfer or there are some that can be acceptable.

Kind regards,

beppe61

beppe61 said:

Dear Mr. Tent,

thank you sincerely for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
At present I am using a 1m SUPRA mod.Trico digital cable.
I am really sorry to learn that I have no hopes to find usable digital cable terminated with RCA.
Are they all equally bad for SPDIF digital transfer or there are some that can be acceptable.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Ciao Beppe,

If the termination is OK, the length is much less critical.

You may consider changing the connectors to BNC, using the same cable you have now.

best

Guido Tent said:

Ciao Beppe,
If the termination is OK, the length is much less critical.
You may consider changing the connectors to BNC, using the same cable you have now.
best

Dear Mr. Tent,

thank you very much again for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
After your words (that anyway mirror some others opinions) the fact that all this digital device use RCAs for I/O connections remains a mistery to me.
May be one day ....

Kind regards,

beppe61

beppe61 said:

Dear Mr. Tent,

thank you very much again for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
After your words (that anyway mirror some others opinions) the fact that all this digital device use RCAs for I/O connections remains a mistery to me.
May be one day ....

Kind regards,

beppe61

Hi

It works with RCA, but it isn't perfect

We thank the RCA to Sony engineers, who insisted, in setting the redbook standard for CD players, on the use of RCA, because consumers didn't have any experience on digital audio, but always had an RCA audio cable at home......

RCA connectors are about 30 ohm.

carlmart said:

Interesting information.

How do you measure the impedance of a connector?

Where can find info on other connector's impedances, like 4-pin mini-DIN (S-video) or XLRs (3-pin or 4-pin)?

Carlos

Hi

I use Time Domain Reflection method

XLR's 3-pin are about 110 ohm. I'd assume mini DIN to be somewhere in the range of 50 to 100 ohm, never measured them

best

Gee, Guido......

How many times have I posted the exact same information about connector impedance, only to have someone tell me that I am nuts.

Guess what:

I am not. Neither is Guido.

However, 1.5 m may be a bit on the short side. 0.5 m or less definitely is. 6 m is probably overkill, but try it sometime.

Everyone gets hung up on this 1s and 0s crap, and fail to see the big picture:

It is digital. Time Domain. Stop thinking frequency domain, which is what you are really doing when you worry about voltage levels, i.e. 1s and 0s. When something happens is a lot more important than what actually happens.

When you understand that, you will understand why silly things like RCAs, XLRs and the like, are the worst possible connectors the average consumer is used to (and therefore designed in by Sony).

Easier still is to figure out why 0.5 m is too short. Think timing, and it will make sense.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.