Rockna CD-ROM control Kit experience - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Antonio is offline Antonio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Rockna CD-ROM control Kit experience

Dear Friends,
there is some of you who has bought the CD-Rom control kit from Rockna audio Systems?
If yes, what do you think? did you received the kit?
A friend of mine experience: Mr Nicolae Jitariu of Rockna audio Systems said to him that he received his payment but my friend has not received the kit yet and Mr Jitariu does not replay to his E-mails.
Are they reliable? What do you think?
Old 1st August 2005, 04:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

im interested in this kit as well....bump
Old 1st August 2005, 06:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I got the short-form kit (PCB+micro) a year ago, assembled it last month and Nicolae replied to all my enquiries, so for me he is OK.
Did you try using a different email or the forum mailing system ?(he is listed here under the nick Lupulroz).

Cheers

Andrea
Old 2nd August 2005, 09:03 AM   #4
mono is offline mono  Europe
diyAudio Member

I placed an order and paid, but it took them some 6 weeks to ship it and they said they had delays du to moving ...
It finally arrived, though.
Good luck!
Terje
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Have you built your kit yet? I've read a few of the threads about the CD-ROM drive as a transport but haven't seen the answer to this question...

Where do you get the digital out from on the CD-ROM drive? Is it on one of the IDE pins? do you have to open the case and solder to the PCB to tap into it?

also, am i correct in that to connect to a DAC w/ a CS8414 receiver chip I just need a capacitor in series with the digital out?
Old 2nd August 2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fluckscapacitor
Where do you get the digital out from on the CD-ROM drive? Is it on one of the IDE pins? do you have to open the case and solder to the PCB to tap into it?
Most (but not all) CD-drives have a 2-pin jumper on the back marked "digital out". this is an SPDIF-signal, but with 5V TTL-level instead on the usual 0.5V. If the drive doesn't have a jumper on the back, making a digital out can be quite difficult as you have to find the connections on the control pcb and solder wires to it from there.

Quote:
Originally posted by fluckscapacitor
also, am i correct in that to connect to a DAC w/ a CS8414 receiver chip I just need a capacitor in series with the digital out?
If the output is TTL-Level SPDIF (as described above), then yes. There's a nice explanation of this in the back of the CS8414 datasheet.

/U.

Hide this!Advertise here!