Output Cap v. Output Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure which forum to put this is, but this seems as good as any.

Would there be any advantage to using an output transformer instead of an output cap for a NOS DAC? As I understand it, both block DC and allow AC through, but a transformer with a 1:1 winding should be able to do this while avoiding phase problems and a frequency rolloff. So, what is it I don't understand that would suggest that a cap is a better choice?

-d

Depending on your analog stage there may be no need for coupling capacitor before primary windings. However, if there's more than 10mV DC offset (with a temerature drift), it could affect high frequency transfer to secondary - so you'll have to use the capacitor. If you have to use capacitor, there's no point in using transformer. Very good, for the money, is Black Gate type C 4.7uF / 50V.

Regards,
Extreme_Boky

Extreme_Boky said:
Very good, for the money, is Black Gate type C 4.7uF / 50V.

It currently has BG type N 4.7uf/50V caps and I am trying to find soemthing to replace them. It is essentially between oil caps, Auricaps or RelCaps.

kevinkr said:
Hi Boky,
He was talking about spdif output, not analog output

I meant on the analog end, sorry I wasn't clearer.

-d

ideally, a transformer should work great.

Practically, you're dealing with leakage inductance (hello, phase!), saturation at low frequency, core loss at high frequency, etc... And if you're driving the transformer with a voltage source (eg, an op-amp), you'll want to put a series C in there anyway.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry, I misinterpreted your question, seemed natural to me that this would relate to the spdif end and not the analog output end. Transformers are occasionally used and can sound very good, however a good one is going to cost more than a very good capacitor, a bad one may be worse than any capacitor you could find.. LOL
IMHO they make a lot of sense in I/V applications, but not much sense in a voltage source driven application unless you need galvanic isolation (LOL), need impedance transformation and/or want to drive a balanced line without any additional active circuitry. BTW the BG N type capacitor is pretty good, I would be surprised if the was a lot to be gained by replacing it with another type - I could be wrong.

Kevin

It currently has BG type N 4.7uf/50V caps and I am trying to find something to replace them. It is essentially between oil caps, Auricaps or RelCaps.

I have tried N type and wasn't impressed. Give C type a try... It is very close to 4.7uF / 200V AURICap I use in certain applications. I personally prefer Black Gate 4.7uF / 50 V C Type.

Regarding SPDIF output, I agree that using transformers for isolation and impedance matching is the best way to go. SCHOTT's are good and I tried couple - the lower leakage inductance - the better!

Regards,
Extreme_Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.