Advice Needed - Power supply for Ack! dAck! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2005, 04:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice Needed - Power supply for Ack! dAck!

I have an Ack Industries dAck! (non-oversampling DAC) and like the music it produces but the battery power supply is driving me nuts. I would like to put together a power supply that I can plug in or at least source my own batteries so I don't have to send away to Ack industries every time I need a new battery (about once every 12-18 months). Basically I am a DYI noob so not sure where to start. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Tony
Old 16th July 2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Hi, You just need a raw supply for digital and analog section consisting of mains transformer, bridge rectifier and supply capacitors. Please see Horowitz "The Art of Electronics" or any other electronics Handbook.
Old 17th July 2005, 12:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am set up using a basic transformer -> rectifier -> smooothing cap (2200uF) -> LM317 -> couple of small film caps (1uF, 0.1 uF). This is pretty easy, though there is clearly room for improvement. I am going to try some extra output caps as dynamics are suffering a bit. Also, I am running 8 chips in parallel, and this seems to be straining the transformer, so I am about to replace it with a bigger one.

I am told, however, that a battery (or even better, a battery with a cap across the terminals) is a great option. Whether this works will depend upon whether your DAC needs a very specific voltage (and you can find a battery of that size) or whether it can take a range.

-d

Hide this!Advertise here!