Burning DVDs for 24/96 stereo playback - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2005, 05:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Burning DVDs for 24/96 stereo playback

I just got one of those all-in-one multiformat disk players with built-in amplification (the Koss KS5192 with TI pure-path and 8 channels @ 125w ea.)

Since it reads DVD-Rs, would it be possible for me to burn 24/96 stereo files to DVD for strictly audio playback?

I couldn't find any threads dealing with this. If there are such threads, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dart
Old 10th July 2005, 06:09 PM   #2
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Does this help?

http://www.discwelder.com/
Old 10th July 2005, 06:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting! thanks for the link.

From the diskwelder bronze blurb:
Quote:
a discWelder-burned disc will play on any DVD-A player that supports DVD-R/RW.
Does this mean it will play on a DVD-A player only, or will it play through any DVD-R player?

Also, is there any way to use normal (free?) dvd authoring software to lay down stereo 24/96 playable on my system?
Old 11th July 2005, 02:51 AM   #4
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

WWW.DVDRHELP.COM

There is a HUGE information store there regarding this (and other) subjects. In theory, you can find free software to suit your needs -- but it is very complicated.

Check out WWW.CHESKY.COM also. They make recordings in 96/24 that will play back on any DVD player

1. Make sure your DVD player actually plays at 96/24. Many down-sample to 48/24 -- read the fine print.

2. You need a high-end sound card to record in 96/24. Check out the Sounblaster Audigy Z2. It is entry level for this domain, but it does record / playback in 96/24.

3. Make sure your source material is 96/24 (e.g., CHESKY). While you can record a CD (16k x 44k) to 96/24 DVD format, it won't sound any better (there's no magic here).

4. I have recorded a half dozen CDs onto DVD for audio playback only (it is called BLACKSCREEN format). They certainly sound as good as the originals. I used ADOBE ENCORE. It converted 16x44 to 24x48 (that's it's highest setting).

5. You can copy any 96/24 (Chesky) recording just like you would any other DVD. I use DVDSHRINK and rip in ISO mode to the HDD (free). I then use DVDDECRYPTER to burn the ISO image from the HDD to DVD media (also free). This works with Chesky 96/24 (I only rip / burn stuff that I own, obviously).

Hope this helps...
Old 11th July 2005, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Helpful indeed, qi!
Old 11th July 2005, 09:21 PM   #6
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Anytime, glad to be of help...
Old 14th July 2005, 11:40 PM   #7
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Default Marketing blurb from Adobe Encore...

Quote:
Highest-quality audio - Record, edit, and mix high-resolution 32-bit files using any sample rate up to 10 MHz, including standard rates such as 44.1kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, and 192 kHz. Support for 24-bit/96 kHz recording ensures DVD-ready sound.
Adobe Encore has a 30 day tryout. It claims to record / playback in 24bit / 96kHz.

So if you can record in that format (e.g., SoundBlaster Audigy Z2), it should burn 24bit / 96kHz to DVD. Give it a try...

BTW check out AUDACITY (also supports 24bit / 96kHz) -- open source, free, very cool.

Regards

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!