Rec. output stage mods- Sony DAS-702es NOS dac - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rec. output stage mods- Sony DAS-702es NOS dac

Just acquired a most interesting Sony DAS-702es d/a converter. 30+lbs. Extreme build quailtiy. ELNA Cerefine/ film capacitors throughout. The dac chips(2) are #cx20017. From the info I have gathered , these are 16 bit, voltage out , with NO oversampling , NO digital filter. Just a LPF with 3 TI 5532 opamps per side. The amazing thing is how GOOD this thing sounds. It bests my Scott Nixon (1543)and Paradise(1545) battery powered dacs in detail and bass. It is also more extended(but not bright!). Just as a reference , I'm using gainclone amps with my open baffle speakers , with ESG-1 ribbons on top. Linkwitz OB subs below 150hz. My transport is an NEC cd-rom drive(several types). I remember all the talk years ago that the first gen of players had a 'glare' to them , but certainly not here. Very enlightening. Anyhow , to my request. Can anyone tell me if I can take the signal directly from the dac chips? Or should I use other opamps(which do you rec.) . I would prefer to do this without to much surgery. All help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e-bay photos 059.jpg (81.8 KB, 498 views)
Old 9th July 2005, 08:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

pic of Low Pass Filter section
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e-bay photos 060.jpg (87.3 KB, 484 views)
Old 11th July 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

build date 1983
Old 12th July 2005, 08:00 AM   #4
ok is offline ok  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

CX20017 not usual DAC. It is a "dual slope" DAC. Two first OP after CX is a part of DAC in usual understanding.
Old 17th March 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I've just bought one of these myself and am keen to know what the blue switch banks do (see post 2 for pic). Does anyone know?

Flicking them does alter the sound but I don't know what each individual one does.

Cheers.
Old 19th March 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyone?
Old 9th April 2009, 11:40 PM   #7
tubert is offline tubert  United States
diyAudio Member

Q1. Can anyone tell me if I can take the signal directly from the dac chips? Or should I use other opamps(which do you rec.) . I would prefer to do this without to much surgery. All help is much appreciated.

A1. I think not. It looks to me like this dac sends 16 individual voltages to the sample/hold circuitry and even if it doesn't, taking a 'tap' from the dac would require a massive overhaul of the main circuit board.

The reason this unit sounds so good is in fact, because of the build quality, not the technology it uses.

Q2. Sorry to bump such an old thread but I've just bought one of these myself and am keen to know what the blue switch banks do (see post 2 for pic). Does anyone know?

Flicking them does alter the sound but I don't know what each individual one does.

A2. These switches contol the gain of each chanel. It's just a resistor network with different values for each "flick".

Why did a noob join this board? I've had one of these units since 1990 and 6 months ago one chanel went bonkers. It just started making the worse noise I've ever heard and it's obviously not an analog issue. You can still buy the serial data converter but I suspect the dac and as you can see from the pics above, you can't read the part number.

So now I'm off to find a SONY CX20017 dac. Thanks for the info on the chip and I hope my advise helps you guys.

}---:)

Hide this!Advertise here!