Tent Labs XO3 Clock Impessions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pburke said:

I'll see if I can trace the SPDIF to the chip - got a spare 3950 on my parts shelf for those projects.

as for the money, I know what the XO did in my DAC, especially with the cleaner power, so it will most likely be a very significant gain over the el-cheapo clock that's in the Toshiba now.

Peter

Hi Peter

Good

As for the money: If you know how to do a low noise supply you can get away with ordering an XO only

Hint at supplies: Especially take care of sub 10Hz noise

cheers

Hi Guido! I am intrested in your clock oscilator , but I don´t understand the the metod of connection , and what I need for upgrade.
So I am asking , do i need only XO2/3 canned module as component , or is there some other components , if I have high quality 5V outpur from cd-player power supply?

Do I only connect XO3 instead of old crystal?

What is the price of XO3 canned module , and can I buy from you BB PCM 63-K DAC chips (one pair) which you use in your DAC design?

Sorry , maybe was beeter to send you an E-mail with those questions:goodbad:

Gasho said:
Hi Guido! I am intrested in your clock oscilator , but I don´t understand the the metod of connection , and what I need for upgrade.
So I am asking , do i need only XO2/3 canned module as component , or is there some other components , if I have high quality 5V outpur from cd-player power supply?

Do I only connect XO3 instead of old crystal?

What is the price of XO3 canned module , and can I buy from you BB PCM 63-K DAC chips (one pair) which you use in your DAC design?

Sorry , maybe was beeter to send you an E-mail with those questions:goodbad:

Hi

Most info on XO (canned module) and XO3 is on my site

PCM63 is on stock

I have never (!) found a clean 5V in any CD player so roll your own or buy XO2 or XO3 otherwise upgrading a clock is spoiled by noisy power supply

cheers

Gasho said:
I have nice PS that runs in A class , orginally made only for colck circuit.

Player is Rotel RCD990.

Interesting. Never found non "class A" power supplies by the way.

What is the measured noise at the output ? (please in nV per SqrrtHz or in uV+measurement bandwidth otherwise)

Rotel has nice clock archiceture in some of their players, including reclocking (at least in the RCD 971)

regards

Hi, Guido this is the power I used for your XO3 from my Pioneer PD77 it's only powering your clock, looks like healthy one does'nt it. Natuarly I'm only using the + and deck.
BTW you never did answer my last email to you, are you still thinking about it, or is there competion for me in Australia?

Cheers George

Attachments

• pd77 analog power supply 1.gif
    pd77 analog power supply 1.gif
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,078
Gasho said:
What do you want to say? I dont need to upgrade this machine? On crystal is mark +-5ppm. It have A class regulation for every PS related to audio/digital circuit.
RCD990 is far more sophisticated than 971. PS, DACs......

Hi

No, I said the architecture is OK, not the clock.

ppm's are for long term stability, doesn't make sense for jitter specs.

Gasho,

I have an rcd990 as well. I was looking into it, but did not do anything serious yet. But one thing I can say right now: Clock power supply is so-so, but the reclocking is dubious. All these supplies are infested by the vicinity [and very bad decoupling] of the PMD100! [the grounds, for example]
Otherways, though it uses the usual hc04 inverter, I agree with You that the clock construction is not the worse possible.
What I did so far was to decouple the PMD100 with smd 10uF ceramic caps directly on the pins, which is fortunately possible [hm, the designer had made a good job, only to be completely neglected by rotel..], this decreased seriously the EMI/RFI activity around there.
If you compare it to the RCD 991, one area where they visibly corrected an error is properly this...

Ciao, George

Joseph K said:
Gasho,

I have an rcd990 as well. I was looking into it, but did not do anything serious yet. But one thing I can say right now: Clock power supply is so-so, but the reclocking is dubious. All these supplies are infested by the vicinity [and very bad decoupling] of the PMD100! [the grounds, for example]
Otherways, though it uses the usual hc04 inverter, I agree with You that the clock construction is not the worse possible.
What I did so far was to decouple the PMD100 with smd 10uF ceramic caps directly on the pins, which is fortunately possible [hm, the designer had made a good job, only to be completely neglected by rotel..], this decreased seriously the EMI/RFI activity around there.
If you compare it to the RCD 991, one area where they visibly corrected an error is properly this...

Ciao, George

Hi

Yes, true

How come I am not surprised, it is a Japanese design......

(read - they don't understand what they are doing)

cheers

audiotux said:
Question to Guido ,
why does the red LED for HDCD on my RCD 991 AE is going on when
i listen to the CD-Layer of the SACD Brothers in Arms ?
A dupli from this SACD (very bad Sound) bring this LED again to burning
How is this possible ? or why ?
Jürgen
Becouse cd layer of that disc is HDCD coded , like some othre remastered albums of Dire straits.
Many HDCD encrypted cd´s don´t have HDCD mark on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.