Tent Labs XO3 Clock Impessions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2005, 08:19 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pburke

I'll see if I can trace the SPDIF to the chip - got a spare 3950 on my parts shelf for those projects.

as for the money, I know what the XO did in my DAC, especially with the cleaner power, so it will most likely be a very significant gain over the el-cheapo clock that's in the Toshiba now.

Peter

Hi Peter

Good

As for the money: If you know how to do a low noise supply you can get away with ordering an XO only

Hint at supplies: Especially take care of sub 10Hz noise

cheers
Old 13th July 2005, 10:41 AM   #22
Gasho is offline Gasho  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guido! I am intrested in your clock oscilator , but I donīt understand the the metod of connection , and what I need for upgrade.
So I am asking , do i need only XO2/3 canned module as component , or is there some other components , if I have high quality 5V outpur from cd-player power supply?

Do I only connect XO3 instead of old crystal?

What is the price of XO3 canned module , and can I buy from you BB PCM 63-K DAC chips (one pair) which you use in your DAC design?

Sorry , maybe was beeter to send you an E-mail with those questions
Old 13th July 2005, 11:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasho
Hi Guido! I am intrested in your clock oscilator , but I donīt understand the the metod of connection , and what I need for upgrade.
So I am asking , do i need only XO2/3 canned module as component , or is there some other components , if I have high quality 5V outpur from cd-player power supply?

Do I only connect XO3 instead of old crystal?

What is the price of XO3 canned module , and can I buy from you BB PCM 63-K DAC chips (one pair) which you use in your DAC design?

Sorry , maybe was beeter to send you an E-mail with those questions
Hi

Most info on XO (canned module) and XO3 is on my site

PCM63 is on stock

I have never (!) found a clean 5V in any CD player so roll your own or buy XO2 or XO3 otherwise upgrading a clock is spoiled by noisy power supply

cheers
Old 13th July 2005, 12:28 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I have nice PS that runs in A class , orginally made only for colck circuit.

Player is Rotel RCD990.
Old 13th July 2005, 12:44 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have nice PS that runs in A class , orginally made only for colck circuit.

Player is Rotel RCD990.
Interesting. Never found non "class A" power supplies by the way.

What is the measured noise at the output ? (please in nV per SqrrtHz or in uV+measurement bandwidth otherwise)

Rotel has nice clock archiceture in some of their players, including reclocking (at least in the RCD 971)

regards
Old 13th July 2005, 12:52 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

What do you want to say? I dont need to upgrade this machine? On crystal is mark +-5ppm. It have A class regulation for every PS related to audio/digital circuit.
RCD990 is far more sophisticated than 971. PS, DACs......
Old 13th July 2005, 12:57 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Hi, Guido this is the power I used for your XO3 from my Pioneer PD77 it's only powering your clock, looks like healthy one does'nt it. Natuarly I'm only using the + and deck.
BTW you never did answer my last email to you, are you still thinking about it, or is there competion for me in Australia?

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: gif pd77 analog power supply 1.gif (98.6 KB, 1005 views)
Old 13th July 2005, 01:48 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What do you want to say? I dont need to upgrade this machine? On crystal is mark +-5ppm. It have A class regulation for every PS related to audio/digital circuit.
RCD990 is far more sophisticated than 971. PS, DACs......

Hi

No, I said the architecture is OK, not the clock.

ppm's are for long term stability, doesn't make sense for jitter specs.
Old 13th July 2005, 02:32 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Gasho,

I have an rcd990 as well. I was looking into it, but did not do anything serious yet. But one thing I can say right now: Clock power supply is so-so, but the reclocking is dubious. All these supplies are infested by the vicinity [and very bad decoupling] of the PMD100! [the grounds, for example]
Otherways, though it uses the usual hc04 inverter, I agree with You that the clock construction is not the worse possible.
What I did so far was to decouple the PMD100 with smd 10uF ceramic caps directly on the pins, which is fortunately possible [hm, the designer had made a good job, only to be completely neglected by rotel..], this decreased seriously the EMI/RFI activity around there.
If you compare it to the RCD 991, one area where they visibly corrected an error is properly this...

Ciao, George
Old 13th July 2005, 04:09 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph K
Gasho,

I have an rcd990 as well. I was looking into it, but did not do anything serious yet. But one thing I can say right now: Clock power supply is so-so, but the reclocking is dubious. All these supplies are infested by the vicinity [and very bad decoupling] of the PMD100! [the grounds, for example]
Otherways, though it uses the usual hc04 inverter, I agree with You that the clock construction is not the worse possible.
What I did so far was to decouple the PMD100 with smd 10uF ceramic caps directly on the pins, which is fortunately possible [hm, the designer had made a good job, only to be completely neglected by rotel..], this decreased seriously the EMI/RFI activity around there.
If you compare it to the RCD 991, one area where they visibly corrected an error is properly this...

Ciao, George

Hi

Yes, true

How come I am not surprised, it is a Japanese design......

(read - they don't understand what they are doing)

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!