PGA2311 produces clicking sounds - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PGA2311 produces clicking sounds

I'm building a preamp with a PGA2311 (The Audio Link from Elektor) and it works fine when I use it as an attenuator. When I however use it to amplify the signal, it produces a clicking sound (about 2-4 clicks per second I guess). The clicking starts immediately when the volume jumps from 0 to +0.5dB. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!
Old 5th July 2005, 06:53 AM   #2
fallow is offline fallow  Finland
diyAudio Member

I have used the PGA2310 and it have the same situation.
if I use it as amplifier, it is starting to clicking.

I founded out, that it is better to use the chip only as an attenuator.
At least in my situation, where I have buffer before and after the chip, the clicking start as soon as the chip start's to amplifying the signal.
Old 6th July 2005, 12:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have used this device, and have not experienced this problem.

I would suggest that it is an implementation issue rather than a fault with the silicon.
Perhaps a software control issue?

apollyon25
Old 6th July 2005, 03:14 AM   #4
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a fault with the zero-crossing part of this chip being activated incorrectly.

It could also possibly be digital noise breaking through onto the analogue stages. Are you sure your grounding is correct ? (analogue and digital grounds isolated)
Old 6th July 2005, 03:18 AM   #5
Banned

A bit OT, but..........

Carefully measure the response in the gain mode, as opposed to the attenuation mode. Then tell me that it has to be an implementation problem. It could be, but..............

Jocko
Old 6th July 2005, 03:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have checked quickly the specs on PGA2311. It appears that for noiseless operation, the serial control signals timing is important. There's an option to disable the influence of zero crossing to noiseless operation - try this. There's a lot of info - page 10: Zero crossing detection...

If something works okay in one mode (attenuate), and makes clicking noises when software - switched to the other mode, I would look at the serial control port signals and timing.

Try also removing the input signals while in gain mode and see if the clicking is still there...

Good luck,
Extreme_Boky
Old 6th July 2005, 06:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PGA2311 produces clicking sounds

Quote:
Originally posted by michielbeijer
I'm building a preamp with a PGA2311 (The Audio Link from Elektor) and it works fine when I use it as an attenuator. When I however use it to amplify the signal, it produces a clicking sound (about 2-4 clicks per second I guess). The clicking starts immediately when the volume jumps from 0 to +0.5dB. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!
Hi Michiel,

Just for clarification: does the clicking only occur when you change the settings, but no longer if you leave it after changing the setting? But if it continues to click even if you do not change the setting, try to remove the digital connections and see if it stops.

Jan Didden
Old 6th July 2005, 09:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.. it probably was a grounding issue here. I resoldered some suspicious contacts and took some time to lay out the grounding and it sounds really great now! Next: building the case to match the chipamp

Hide this!Advertise here!