Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2005, 02:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Analog sound from Digital source. Possible?

I had great pleasure last couple of weeks playing with Audiomeca Mephisto II CD transport unit. This is the best sounding transport unit I modified so far with completely analog-like sound. Very natural, fast, detailed - It sounded NOTHING like digital source. I used it with Pedja's NOS 1541A (S1) DAC with 50MHz asynchronies reclocking. SUPERB!!!!

The long search for digital audio Nirvana has ended for me (now I have to find a way how to get this CD transport for a reasonable price, the cost is US$7000 !!). Actually, I would implement design ideas only, try to source similar cd mechanisms and use MUCH better digital servo PCB and power supply (power supply implementation is quite honestly - SHOCKING - however, the sound is SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!)

I would like to hear what other people think about using the acrylic and heavy plastic as a solution to obtaining analog sound from digital sources?

In my opinion, the reason for such an analog sound coming from this CD transport is the fact that cd mechanism is fully potted in plastic / acrylic. It is also FULLY suspended via large acrylic plate in which the mechanism is mounted. The BASE of the whole unit is lead-loaded to lower the centre of gravity. The whole thing is VERY similar to large and heavy acrylic turntables that sound SO GOOD! Is this the secret to obtaining good quality sound from digital sources?

The rest of this CD transport is NOTHING special at all. However, this plastic material was extensively used. The bottom plate has very heavy lead-loaded "base" to lover the gravity.

Has anyone experienced these transport or played with similar materials?

Regards,
Extreme_Boky
Old 29th June 2005, 07:41 AM   #2
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
this plastic material was extensively used. The bottom plate has very heavy lead-loaded "base" to lover the gravity.
Thats why i made a sandwich of mdf / lead and acryllic sheets for my home made 4 dacs parallel non-os 1541A cd player, and the CDM 2-0008 stands on home made rubber stand-offs and is dampened with lead and rubber sheets... but the player isn't finished yet, lack of time.
Nevertheless experienced that mechanism quality is very important to benefit sound-quality: crowdy parts in music are better followed, and gives a more relaxed sound overall.
Old 29th June 2005, 07:46 AM   #3
guytou is offline guytou  France
diyAudio Member

I became to transform the KSM of a rotel in top-loader with acrylic base ,it sounds good with a 1543 .

Here is the first step :

now i will machine a larger base (about 420x230mm) , and i'll hook the motherboard on .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo0061.jpg (79.6 KB, 1538 views)
Old 29th June 2005, 07:56 AM   #4
guytou is offline guytou  France
diyAudio Member

this not so heavy base (100-150g.) manage to work quite well without any suspension .

Another pic :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo0059.jpg (71.4 KB, 1376 views)
Old 29th June 2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Lourens is offline Lourens  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Analog sound from Digital source? Possible!

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
In my opinion, the reason for such an analog sound coming from this CD transport is the fact that cd mechanism is fully potted in plastic / acrylic. It is also FULLY suspended via large acrylic plate in which the mechanism is mounted. The BASE of the whole unit is lead-loaded to lower the centre of gravity. The whole thing is VERY similar to large and heavy acrylic turntables that sound SO GOOD! Is this the secret to obtaining good quality sound from digital sources?
I think you're right. I never experienced that 'fully potted' cdm2.0 transport, but I can can confirm that using acrylic or similar materials in suspending, or rather in mounting the cd mechanism, works very well. The first time I saw and heard that approach was with the Audio Research CD2, a reallly analogue sounding player, and to my ears better than most other cdp's at the time (compared to f.i. to Wadia 301, Bow and Meridian cdp's). The rather cheapish looking Philips VAM x cd-rom drive (if i remember well) was mounted on a thick slab of acryl or something like that.
Since then i experimented that approach, combined with making the overall base much heavier (yes, also with lead in two succesive transport projects with good results: Philips CDD882 (with cdm1 mkII) and the Studer A727 (with the superior cdm1). As a base i used a Corian plate; harder, stiffer and much heavier than acryl, but also useful in tuning those resonances (i also use Corian as an armboard for my modded Rega RB300). Of course wood, mdf and other materials do all have there sonic impact, so in the end its a matter of (fine) tuning -- as ever.

BTW interesting background information on the Audiomeca cd mechanism and design philosophy can be found here
Although i never heard the Mephisto (wow, what a name!) i guess the real secret in this case wil be the state-off-the-art vinyl/turntable expertise of Pierre Lurné, combined with the dito Philips/René Boonen engineering....

Extreme_Boky, could you elaborate a bit more on the construction of that cdm2.0? It looks rather like a cdm12 than a Boonen designed cdm4 or 9! Can't you post some pictures?

groeten
Lourens
Old 29th June 2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Lourens is offline Lourens  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Analog sound from Digital source. Possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
The long search for digital audio Nirvana has ended for me (now I have to find a way how to get this CD transport for a reasonable price, the cost is US$7000 !!). Actually, I would implement design ideas only, try to source similar cd mechanisms and use MUCH better digital servo PCB and power supply (power supply implementation is quite honestly - SHOCKING - however, the sound is SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!)
Hi Extreme_Boky

According to this review the Audiomeca cdm2.0 is "(...) licensed to a few select manufacturers building state-of-the-art players themselves."
Do you, or anybody else know which players are meant here?

groeten,
Lourens
Old 29th June 2005, 11:41 PM   #7
X.G. is offline X.G.  China
diyAudio Member

Default analog sound

my TDA1541 nos dac which have amplitude equalizer and steep LPF is much much more analoge sound than the Benchmark DAC-1,comparing two days ago.

My NOS DAC can express music emotions,DAC-1 cannot in compring.

this is my post on the other forum a week ago

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...01c64519d#6107

PS:I am busy in improve my TDA1541 NOS DAC.I spent 6 months for that,I had tried Zanden's Filter (I found Zanden's theory is wrong!) ,K. Y. Wang's filter, 3th and 5th LC filter.Using the steep LPF and amplitude equalizer,I got the excellent sound now, much much better than before. maybe I had know the reason why Jocko don't like the sound of NOS DAC.

http://www.hifidiy.net/dispbbs.asp?B...star=21&skin=0

Click the image to open in full size.

I have post the the chinese thread which explain why I use amplitude equalizer and steep LPF :

http://www.hifidiy.net/dispbbs.asp?b...D=12780&skin=0

If i have time,I will post that thread in English on here

goodluck

X.G. from China
Old 30th June 2005, 02:59 AM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

using eac to copy into ram disk in fanless pc or dedicated "digital audio data pump" with no moving parts seems much easier at that price point (you could run it on batteries too)
Old 30th June 2005, 04:02 AM   #9
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

One should seek to use only Cast Acrylic, which is superior in all ways to common extruded acyrlic.
Old 30th June 2005, 09:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW interesting background information on the Audiomeca cd mechanism and design philosophy can be found here
Although i never heard the Mephisto (wow, what a name!) i guess the real secret in this case will be the state-off-the-art vinyl/turntable expertise of Pierre Lurné, combined with the ditto Philips/René Boonen engineering....
Quote:
According to this review the Audiomeca cdm2.0 is "(...) licensed to a few select manufacturers building state-of-the-art players themselves."
Do you, or anybody else know which players are meant here?
I am not sure which players use this CDM2.0 mechanism.

The material used to fully pot the mechanism is not acrylic but very dense black in colour "heavy" plastic. This is one of the main reasons for such a wonderful sound coming from this mechanism. The potted mechanism itself is bolted to a plate of approximately 350 X 350 X 8 mm (8mm being the thickness) which is suspended at 4 points on to 4 springs. There are 4 alen / imbus screws to make the whole suspended plate with mechanism levelled. The plate is of the same material as one in which the mechanism is potted (i think). Unfortunately, I did not take any photos and the unit is back in Melbourne.

However, there is another very good point to remember - the wiring between cd mechanism and PCB is soldered at cd mechanism end and has connectors only at the PCB end. I have modified some CD players where I removed the membrane ribbon cable and used fine silver wiring which I soldered at both ends with excellent results.

Back to Audiomeca's mechanism - I can suggest a quick and easy mod to the pickup itself. There are two power supply decoupling low profile capacitors located on the little PCB on the lens assembly. Those two have to go out and make place for two 0.1uF / 50V NX type Black Gates. I have carried-out modifications in steps - this being the first one out of many. The result was excellent - dark background, better detail retrieval, more natural piano.

Quote:
One should seek to use only Cast Acrylic, which is superior in all ways to common extruded acyrlic.
I'd like to see this cast acrylic. I'll search the net and see if there's more on this material.

I'd also like to remind everyone that I used very good DAC with asynchronous reclocking. I spent at least 2 weeks trying to get basic DAC to sound excellent. I added the reclocking board AFTER I was fully satisfied with the sound of "basic" DAC.

There's no doubt in my mind (especially now - a week after I sent the unit back to Melbourne when all the impressions and thoughts have settled in my head) that the plastics used extensively in Audiomeca Mephisto II transport are to blame for analog - like sound.

Regards,
Extreme_Boky

Hide this!Advertise here!