Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
xcortes is offline xcortes  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default Toshiba 3950 Vinnie Mods

I intend to do the Vinnie mods to the power supply of a Toshiba 3950 DVD player. I have access to Newark Electronics that delivers to Mexico but they don´t carry Panasonic FCs.

Can someone point me to suitable alternate capacitors?

I intend to do the Vinnie mods on the Power board and Swenson mods on the audio board. Can someone tell me which of the Vinnie cap replacements on the audio board are compatible with the Swenson mod?

Thanks,

xavier
Old 14th June 2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Banned

Does Digi-key sell down there? If not, bribe someone up here to get some to you.

BTW.......I found out the hard way........there are 2 countries that I can not insure stuff to, via US Post Office:

Viet Nam and Mexico.

Jocko
Old 14th June 2005, 11:10 PM   #3
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

You 'might' reconsider the Vinnie Mods.. Swenson didn't do any P supply changes and His Mod produces an unmistakeable improvement.. and it's V easy..and only requires 2 caps.
http://johnswenson1.home.comcast.net...3960_mods.html
Having tried 'em both :-)..I suggest: Simply add a bypass to the PS cap(s) if you must fool with it.
Old 15th June 2005, 01:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I intend to do the Vinnie mods to the power supply of a Toshiba 3950 DVD player. I have access to Newark Electronics that delivers to Mexico but they don’t carry Panasonic FCs.
In my opinion (and I used a lot of electrolytic capacitors: Panasonics, Rubicons, Elna Cerafine - Cerafine II, Super Gold...) Black Gates are superior to any other electrolytic cap. Try to get them - you'll be surprised how good they are. I just hope they are going to be around for many years to come...

I would point out 4 types as absolute winners:

1. 2200uF / 35 V FK
2. 100uF / 50V N (or NX - not sure)
3. 0.1uF / 50V NX
4. 4.7uF / 50V C

Regards,
Extreme_Boky
Old 16th June 2005, 02:04 PM   #5
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bare
You 'might' reconsider the Vinnie Mods.. Swenson didn't do any P supply changes and His Mod produces an unmistakeable improvement.. and it's V easy..and only requires 2 caps.
http://johnswenson1.home.comcast.net...3960_mods.html
Having tried 'em both :-)..I suggest: Simply add a bypass to the PS cap(s) if you must fool with it.

actually, the Vinnie Mods do a lot more for the sound than the Swenson mod. Just search the Digital Asylum and see that Swenson himself now uses an external DDDAC, bypassing his own mod.

I tried both, and am using an external DAC as well - absolutely no contest. The 3950 is a good transport, but it's DAC is pretty mediocre, with or without mods.

Vinnie's mods are basically applicable to any player - cleaning up the power coming from a cheap switching supply can never be a bad idea. Even made the video output crisp and clean.

Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!