Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope you can see something, 102kb is very small

Attachments

• arcam 7 cdp + kss240a.jpg
    arcam 7 cdp + kss240a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,111
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I've got an example here of a KSS210. Not exactly the same but you'll get the picture.
Remove the plastic on top of the transport. It could be tightened with two or four screws or clipped in.
Remove the 4 screws that hold the laser unit plateau.
Take care of the springs underneath the platter, they are sometimes different in strength, make sure you put them back in their original location.
Now remove the white plastic wheel that is clipped into the plastic. Do this by pinching the clips underneath with tweezers and pull the wheel.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• mvc-234f1.jpg
    mvc-234f1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,878
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Take good care of the white flex cable, pull it gently out of the laser unit. (Not on my picture, the 210 has normal wires.)
With a small tool, clip the little plastic away so the axe can be pulled out a bit. The trick is to take out the axe completely and ones this is done the laser unit is disassembled.
No need to tell you that the procedure for assembling is the same but in reverse order.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• mvc-236f.jpg
    mvc-236f.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,855
There's no solder bridge, and no metal strip on the ribbon cable, at least not on the basic laser unit I was trying to fit. The job is done, problems solved, once again thanks to your help here. Actually easier even than netlist suggested as the 4 screws and springs don't need to be removed, nor the wheel; just slide out the axle, disconnect the small ribbon cable and bung in the new one, takes about 5 mins.

KSS240A replacement

Hello Hugo and other posters.
Your instructions re the sony KSS240A were useful to me too.
My player is a Sony and it's been erratic in recognising CDs for the last few months. I hope that replacing the Laser module will cure the problem.
The Sony mechanism is pretty similar to the one pictured in your post. I've removed the KSS240A and am waiting for my new module to arrive.
I didn't have to remove the metal plate with it's rubbers and springs but had to take out the two front screws to raise the plate so that I could slide out the shaft. Here's hoping that the re-assembly goes as smoothly.
I understand from the posts here that no adjustments are needed, I hope this is so.
Thanks again for the advice and photos.
Regards, Don.

Arcam Alpha 7 CD player KSS-240A problem

I was wondering if you can provide me with some help? I bought a Arcam Alpha 7 CD player through eBay at the start of the year. The CD player has never functioned properly skipping uncontrollably through the tracks and was instructed to replace the laser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o73YgSEIv5g I purchased a replacement laser and am having great problems removing the casing that encloses the laser to replace. Any helpful hints would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your kind offer Kora, tried to e-mail you but am under moderation so is not allowed. my e-mail is raymond.elliot@gmail.com if your able to forward electronically. Was struggling to remove the black plastic casing to enable me to change over the laser, maybe i'm missing something here, a latch or other mechanism as I don't want to force open as i'll inevitably break... cheers Cheeseplant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.