Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I recently purchased Arcam Alpha One on ebay, from the start it struggled reading discs, once recognised it played OK, now it is refusing to read discs completely, it will start up most times if I spin the disc with my finger, not sure if this is a laser problem or just needs some adjustment or something, part of the problem was also at times the tray wouldn't engage fully to lock on the disc but this seemed to get better after some use. Could someone please fwd me the pdf. referred to aboe, I will try and change laser assembly and go from there.

email: terry.maddocks@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

Arcam Alpha 7se

Hi all,
I'm new to this great forum, and looking for advice.
I have an Arcam Alpha 7se that I bought new about 16 years ago.
This player has never been very good at playing CDrs' but recently it's been struggling to play any discs at all.

Sometimes it will take ages to read a normal cd but eventually will do, other times it will not read the disc at all.
And other times it will skip or only read some of the disc. Will a new laser assembly fix this?

Although I have some electronics knowledge I know nothing of cd players. If I replace the KSS240a laser assembly will the unit read CDrs' better? Or can I use a different laser to read CDrs' more successfully?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Many Thanks:)

Hello All, I'm new to the Forum and found it by searching on ways to repair my Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player.
I know this is a very old post but is there anyone out there that may have a copy of the PDF that is mentioned by Kora with instructions to replace a KSS-240a Laser Assy.

Thank you all in advance.
Regards Alex

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hey can someone send me this? My new laser is OK once its playing but it has great trouble changing tracks. I have a scope and would like to know how to adjust it.

Thanks!
liquidsmoke (--at--) earthling dot net

Have a look at this which covers full alignment of a KSS240,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/226288-sony-cdp790-kss240-restoration-project.html

(what is this mythical document everyone keeps asking for ? The KSS240 is one of the most straightforward to replace)

Mooly; thanks for that. After reading around (I'm new to this) I think perhaps I will check the mechanism rather than the laser first as the symptoms I'm having seem to indicate an issue with the 'coarse' servo motor. When I seek within a track or seek to another track it has trouble finding the spot; it does eventually find it but it takes a long while.

You mention that these gears need to be left dry. What is the reason for this? I must admit I lubed them when I took it apart.
http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/data/1772/medium/xLoading_Gears_And_Belt.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pleased you have found it useful. The gears in question were the tray loading mech ones and if these are greased then over months/years the grease migrates and ends up everywhere. They also turn at a fair speed when the tray is moving which also flings the stuff around.

Your symptoms could still end up being a problem with the laser. I'm guessing you haven't a 'scope, which is really the way to diagnose something like this.

Hi Mooly,
As I lack your experience and as Kora seems to have been similarly inexperienced before he replaced his laser assembly I think it wise for me to be cautious and see how he went about the task. If I do receive Kora's PDF I'd be happy to pass on to you for your expert opinion if he's agreeable.
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

Do you have any advice about the exact lubricants and cleaners you recommend in your restoration projects ?
Much appreciate your excellent description of the Sony restoration project - it's donkeys years since I last used a scope and regret not having one now but clear and concise articles like yours may inspire me to tool-up properly again !
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.