Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2011, 02:05 PM   #61
speakerman1 is offline speakerman1  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I found a laser for 18.00. So I will wait and see then. This CDP sounded nice so I do want to fix it. This will be my only SS CDP. My others are tubed.

Thanks for your help.If you have anymore suggestions let me know. I would appreciate it.

Larry
Old 17th September 2011, 04:00 AM   #62
atico5007 is offline atico5007
diyAudio Member

Hi there, my first post! Nice forum!
I'm having problems with my cd player which has a KSS240A pickup so I ordered a replacement part and already arrived.
Please Kora will you send me your famous PDF? I do really want this player to work! Had it for almost 12 years and want it back in top shape, it is a cheap Onkyo 7210 but worked really nice!
labloos@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!
Old 26th December 2011, 12:31 PM   #63
Jonon is offline Jonon
diyAudio Member

A friend of mine has an Arcam 7 and a 9 which skips tracks, I have looked for a new laser assy' for him for years with no success but now it seems they are easily available being the Sony Kss 240 , if anyone could forward the pdf mentioned in this thread I would be very grateful. squats57@hotmail.com is my email address.
Thanks in advance
Old 26th December 2011, 12:48 PM   #64
Jonon is offline Jonon
diyAudio Member

My friend has an Arcam Alpha 7 and 9 cd players both skip tracks is the Sony kss 240 the replacement laser mechanism for these models and if they are could someone forward the pdf file mentioned in this thread.
I have been looking for a replacement for him for about 3 years. Thanks in advance
Old 26th December 2011, 04:30 PM   #65
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If in doubt at least take the top off and look what mech and pickup is fitted. It will say on pickup the type number.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:50 AM   #66
atico5007 is offline atico5007
diyAudio Member

Please, I need that PDF ! I'm unable to pull apart that shaft to remove pickup.
It's on place by two plastic things and I am afraid will break them trying
Sorry for my english.
Edited by moderation to prevent spam: labloos_at_gmail_dot_com
Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 10:01 PM   #67
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, i just replaced optical block on sony 291- Kss 240 A. It is spinning and the optical move up and down but still read no disc?. Any advice re trouble shooting?
Quan.
PS-also how do i remove the screws that hold the motor in place to replace the caps on rf board?
Old 15th January 2012, 06:49 AM   #68
diyAudio Moderator

If any presets have been disturbed (and I'm not familiar with your player by model number alone) then you may have problems getting it working. Nothing on the pickup should be touched.

All mechanical issues must be attended too first. The sled must be free and smooth. It must return correctly to the rest position when powered up. The platter height must be correct and the platter running true. The spindle motor may be faulty/worn. Worth isolating it electrically and zapping it across a 9 volt battery for a few seconds to clean the commutator.

The fact it spins (the platter should not normally spin with NO disc inserted) means that focus has been found.

From thereon in you need a scope to look at the RF signal to determine where problems lie.

All rails should be clean and correct (scope them).
Any PLL oscillator that is adjutable must be set as per the manual.

From memory motors are usually desoldered from the PCB to remove.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:10 AM   #69
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
If any presets have been disturbed (and I'm not familiar with your player by model number alone) then you may have problems getting it working. Nothing on the pickup should be touched.

All mechanical issues must be attended too first. The sled must be free and smooth. It must return correctly to the rest position when powered up. The platter height must be correct and the platter running true. The spindle motor may be faulty/worn. Worth isolating it electrically and zapping it across a 9 volt battery for a few seconds to clean the commutator.

The fact it spins (the platter should not normally spin with NO disc inserted) means that focus has been found.

From thereon in you need a scope to look at the RF signal to determine where problems lie.

All rails should be clean and correct (scope them).
Any PLL oscillator that is adjutable must be set as per the manual.

From memory motors are usually desoldered from the PCB to remove.
Thanks, i did desoldered the motor and replace the caps on the board just for measures. No settings has been touched. When the disc is loaded the laser move up and down , motor spins but after a few seconds it reads NO DISC. I have no scope to check where the problem lies. Is there anything i can do with just a simple multimeter?
Quan
Old 15th January 2012, 10:40 AM   #70
diyAudio Moderator

You are very limited without a scope unfortunately.

Is the sled definitely OK. If you move it away from the centre and then power up does it return to the correct inner rest position.

If that's OK then I think you have problems using just a multimeter. You need to see what the pickup is seeing off the disc, amplitude and so on. Just guessing otherwise.

Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CDHide this!Advertise here!