Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any chance of forwarding a copy of the pdf to me?

I've encountered a simlar problem with my arcam 8se. It skips tracks /7 occasionally doesnt recognise CD's. I've taken the cover off the cd player & cant access the four screws, I beleive from the above posts i needs to removed the black cover from the wheel?

Many Thanks for the assistance.

I've replaced the laser using your instructions without any major issues. The only problem I had was knowing how hard to push the ribbon into the KSS240A (My replacement is a NKS240A??). The PDF is really clear & easy to follow.

Other than the ribbon everything else was relativley easy. Anyway the results are fantastic!!
Even the wife has noticed an improvement? the sound seems to have much more clarity.......
No more track skipping or non recognition of cd'S.

Anyway thanks again for helping me out it really was appreciated!:)

Disc not spinning up.

Hi,

I have just replaced a KSS-240A laser in my sony CD player and the disc can not be found. I realise that the disc isn't actually spinning up. Does anyone know if the laser detects the presence of the disc before the spindle motor runs or vice versa ?

I have tried to measure the voltage on the spindle motor and there doesn't seem to be any. I suspect this is because the laser is not picking up the presence of the disc.

Any advice appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,

I have just replaced a KSS-240A laser in my sony CD player and the disc can not be found. I realise that the disc isn't actually spinning up. Does anyone know if the laser detects the presence of the disc before the spindle motor runs or vice versa ?

I have tried to measure the voltage on the spindle motor and there doesn't seem to be any. I suspect this is because the laser is not picking up the presence of the disc.

Any advice appreciated.

Answered in your other thread :)

I have just replaced a faulty KSS240A laser in a SONY CDPH3700(part of a MHC3700 midi system) and, although at first it seemed to play CDs correctly, it now will not start running unless I give the disc a spin manually to start it, and even then sometimes mistracks and/or stops. Like other members, I, too, cannot see either a shorting link on the laser modules pcb, or an insert in the connector. The ribbon cable appears to be OK, but should I replace it anyway. Any ideas on how to solve the problem will be very helpful. Kora, do you still have a spare copy of the instruction sheet?

To the best of my knowledge, Jon, the platter is where the makers fitted it, but I will check this. The odd thing is that, with the cover off the player worked normally, and played 3 CDs from start to finish perfectly, but when I refitted the cover, the problems started- discs that had played OK before weren't being read because the spindle motor wasn't running. This machine has a drawer loading mechanism, and I'm puzzled as to the cause of the fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.