Think I blew it replacing laser unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replaced the laser unit (Philips VAM 1201) of a troubled Marantz 4000 today. It's my first attempt.
When powered on the display says READING then OPEN and the drawer opens; when made to close, the display says READING, then OPEN again and the drawer re-opens. Inserting a CD has no effect on this behaviour.
I've rechecked the wiring and connectors several times, and used antistatic procedures throughout. Could I have damaged something eg. laser motor when soldering?

You've given me a slim hope, netlist, that it may not be a disaster. The tray in fact doesn't look as if it lines up properly at the back when closed, as if it's on the wrong cog. When I was dismantling it, before I discovered that the front lip of the tray just slides up and off to allow the whole unit to be removed backwards, I'd been following someone's experiences with a Marantz CD63 and trying to release the tray by pulling it straight out, and wondering why I couldn't find the drawer stop. I might have dislodged it then. I'll let you know how I get on, and thanks.

You wouldn't want my advice richie00boy, but you have my sympathy.

As for my problem, I'm pretty sure the tray is out of place on its tracks and needs to move 5 or 6mm backwards, but I can't as yet find a way of doing it by adjustment rather than force. I'll fiddle on, and hope for inspiration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.