Lowering clock output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2005, 04:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lowering clock output

I have a Tent Clock XO2 that Im transplanting from one machine to another. Currently the output is 3.3vpp. The new machine requires a 1.5vpp. Can I use a resistor on the clock output to lower the voltage, without affecting the clocks performance? Thanks in Advance!
Old 2nd June 2005, 05:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Don't have Tent Clock XO2 diagram....

I would not use voltage dividers - resistors to lower the output value.

Usually there's a feedback resistor of around 47K on the output buffer / inverter. This resistor value gives 5v pp.
For 1.5V pp I would scale this resistor down to around 14K, or put in parallel to 47K another resistor of around 20K.

Hope this helps.

Who's got the Tent Clock XO2 diagram? Is this caned oscillator?

Regards,
Extreme_Boky
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Lowering clock output

Quote:
Originally posted by audiokid25
I have a Tent Clock XO2 that Im transplanting from one machine to another. Currently the output is 3.3vpp. The new machine requires a 1.5vpp. Can I use a resistor on the clock output to lower the voltage, without affecting the clocks performance? Thanks in Advance!

Hi

You could consider using a 2:1 step down transformer from minicircuits (T4-6T) or look at www.Scientificonversion.com for alternatives.

By the way, this is the first time I hear from a machine that needs such low voltage. What is the supply voltage of the chip being fed ?

cheers
Old 3rd June 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The supply voltage of the chip its feeding is 3.3v. The chip is a PLL. I managed to lower the voltage of the output by tieing a 56ohm resistor from the output to gnd. It doesnt seem to affect the waveform, but is this going to hurt the clock in the long run?
Old 6th June 2005, 07:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is this what your looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: gif xo_voeding_2.gif (7.0 KB, 140 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!