Non Oversampling DAC-complementing CD-PRO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Corrections

Peter Daniel said:

>The CLOCK output is directly connected to pin 26 of SAA7210 (digital signal processor) <

Is that correct? Or is the output of a clock connects to pin 19 of SAA7210?

Hi Peter,
Sorry for confusing you. (Too much alcohol) :whacko:. Yes the clock is connected to pin 19 of the SAA7210.
Regarding the Russian opamp-roulette; I gave up this game a long time ago. OPA627 was one of the winners.
It will be intersting if you corroborate my findings regarding the soundquality of the TDA1541AS1 vs. the AD1865N-K, or not.;)

TDA1541

I am considering the use of two TDA1541, opposite phase, feeding a Sowter 9055 transformer (1:18,7 turn ratio). Two 50 ohm resistors are used for I/V conversion and there is no active analog stage at all. Phase opposition is obtained with two XOR gates before the DATA input. Opinions welcome.
Marco

Marco,
I liked your idea so i just asked my friend MHuber who has the Sowter9055 in use in his DAC. He set me straight this won't work properly without an active stage.
You have those 50Ohms as source impedance seen by the Xfrmr. Ratio is 18.7 so output impedance is 50R*18.7^2=17k5 .

17k5 driving 47k preamp input impedance. Not a good idea. Manfred used a tube output stage with a 4:1 stepdown output transformer to arrive at about 3k output impedance. I can tell from own experience that his CDP/DAC is not the best but the most musical digital i ever heard; i will build something very similar to that, using a CDpro2 drive.

Can CDpro2 drive be synchonized by external clock signal?

All,

urgent CDpro2 question: is it possible (and if yes, how?) to disconnect the connection between internal clock and drive on the onboard PCB of the CDpro2 module and is it possible then to synchronize the CD drive to an external clock signal, e.g. coming from the master clock oscillator sitting right beneath the DAC?

Here is the info from Product Specification notes concerning VAU1254/11. SAA7324 decoder is on transport's PCB.

Attachments

• cl1.jpg
    cl1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3,998
Peter and all,

the ThomasMayer/ManfedHuber DAC/CDP strictly avoids any SPDIF transmission between drive and DAC: 4 separate digital lines between DAC and drive; the master oscillator sits almost piggyback in the DAC and everything remote is soncronized to the master oscillator's clock.

I also am just learning digital, but from the subjective, listening side as well as from the conceptional, design side, methinks this architecture is one of the few possible stairways to heaven. Synchronizing the (remote) drive by the DAC's master clock is required to go that stairway.

I would bet that Jocko seconds this. Jocko?

Guess i will have to ask Mr Thevissen how to do this.

Bernhard,

I am working on this: clock in the DAC and then feed it back to the transport. This with an old philips player and two TDA1541 in non-os. But it should be possible to use for other setups.

As for the clock of the pro. Check the datasheet of the decoder chip. Probably it can be fed with a TTL clock. The old 7210 in my player can :->.

I am thinking of using an asynchronious FIFO register to do the trick. Also using one programmable logic chip (GAL) and some normal logic.

Already using the GAL and some logic to "split" the I2S signal into left and right (so one TDA1541 is left and the other is right channel, output can be made differential).

Anyway, if all is working, ill post the schematic, etc. I am now working on a PCB for the logic and DACs and i am about to order the components.

Greetings,

Guido

Hello Guido!
happy you join this discussion. :cheerful:

I will ask Mr Thevissen, i have established phone contact with him already, just am careful not to overload him with QQ as i have not yet ordered. My funds are absorbed by 2 tonearms and an open baffle speaker at the moment.

He can answer my Q and tell me which oscillator freqency the drive uses and if the 11.28MHz clock needed for Manfred's DAC has to be mulitplied by 3/2 (glue logic + PLL) to arrive at 16.92MHz or not.

I guess i have Tent clocks for both frequencies, one of them i will definitely use. Thomas and Manfred consider this clock as A+++.

nos dac

i'm pretty shure that the hole trick is in the analog filtering....peter quortrup has hit the (motherload) with the use of a transformer + "coil/cap/coil" filter , but i don't believe in using a "passive" I/V converter ( the dac output has to be buffered first ) - perhaps mr. jocko can help out ??? or mr. pass???

troels

Glue logic

Hi Peter, Moderator, back to the topic:
I made a little schematic and sent it to a friend. I did not get a reply yet. I don't know it is working-<I>I know nothing you know- </i>:), but you can try it.;)
Please read for "reaiming" remaining, I must have been drunk again:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
It is a simplification from the AD schematic for two separate DAC's:xeye:

Attachments

• i2sconverter.gif
    i2sconverter.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,582
TDA1543 vs. TDA1541AS1

tbla said:
hi peter,
have you tried the tda 1541a s1 yet???

troels

elso, you must have had too many of these :drink: since you like the 1543 more than the 1541 .....(no joke) :joker:
Hi Troels,
Same situation / preference when I am sober. Could be due to the Asynchronous Reclocker and powersupply for the TDA1543 posted in a other thread. It is also a matter of taste "English" style of listening vs. "German" style or "(K)wacko" style. The TDA1541AS1 is simply too "polite" for me especially on popmusic. I also do a lot of sound comparisons with LP's of the same album on CD. Very instructive.:goodbad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.