Philips CD104

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats good with the CD104?
The drive mechanism?
Or is it just nostalgia?
If I recall correctly, its a 14-bit DAC with noise shaping, think its the TDA1540...

I have a defect unit buried somewhere, one channel is putting out terrible ringing noise... now I remember! The DAC is mono, so there are two DACs in there, and I do have a spare!

Is it worth fixing?

Tubehead said:
Whats good with the CD104?
The drive mechanism?
Or is it just nostalgia?
If I recall correctly, its a 14-bit DAC with noise shaping, think its the TDA1540...

I have a defect unit buried somewhere, one channel is putting out terrible ringing noise... now I remember! The DAC is mono, so there are two DACs in there, and I do have a spare!

Is it worth fixing?

drive cdm1
nostalgia yes
yes 2 times 1540. Dac's tend to break, so maybe the spare....
worth fixing: "The two I bought recently cost £27 and £32 inc p&p."

Nice cd104: b&o cd-x :D

CD 104

Been away for some time...

Hmm... I´m using a NEC CD-ROM as a transport with a Rockna Electronics IDE controller.
The NEC is pretty good, at least IME.
But its still kind of cheap plastic, so the thought of using the CDM-0/1 is tempting.

How complicated would the necessary logic be?
I dont have the skills for designing it myself.
I do have the skills for building it.
I2S would be good...

Maybe I have servicemanual!
Have to dig deep...
:D

Re: CD 104

Tubehead said:

How complicated would the necessary logic be?
I dont have the skills for designing it myself.
I do have the skills for building it.
I2S would be good...

It depends on a number of factors. If you simply want to connect to a TDA541 in an external case then all you need are 4 buffers, maybe some connectors and a bit of wire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.