dac internal wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI everyone,
I need help about internal wiring for my TDA1543 dac. What do You use for the digital and analogue wire inside the dac.... I would need something of very good quality but for not too much money. And if I could by a few meters not few hundreds of meters - small quantity please and where to buy- I would be very gratefull for the information.
Thanks in advance and best regards
daniel

Attachments

• 020105-03_resize_.jpg
    020105-03_resize_.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 670
Hi Sparkle,

Nice looking DAC.

I recently built a Scott Nixon NOS DakKit. I used single strands from cat5 wire for the inputs and outputs. It is solid core copper and easy to use. I used some teflon coated silver plated copper for the power wiring from the battery. The teflon/silver/copper wire is cheap on EBAY. I stay away from silver on signal wires as it can be a bit bright on some systems. Both of these wires are cheap and sound good.

Let us know how it sounds when you get it hooked up...

thanks mourip for the reply
Cat5 is nice sounding - no doubt about that but I have currently Harbour Industries M17/94-RG179 MIL-C-17. It is silvered copper (stranded). It is a good cable (better than Cat5) but I need something really better. Something that is a way beyond CAT5 and RG179 but on the cheap side (if this could be possible) and I don't have no more ideas (since I don't want to buy some Kimber Silver Streak and cut the wires from it :whazzat: . RG179 is very good cable, but since the dac is very good sounding I must put something better.
Thanks again for the reply
best regards
daniel:smash: :D :D ;)

sparkle said:
Hey, nice information- thanks...... One more question - how does it sound??

I'm not keen on describing how something sounds as there is rarely a common frame of reference. What sounds shrill to some may sound just right to others. Others actually like the TDA1541. Furthermore the single strand stuff is in my phonostage, something I haven't listened to for a few years now. There is a mix of stranded and single strand in my modded AN DAC3 and I like the effect but as to how much the wire contributes to the whole package, your guess is as good as mine. There are others better placed to sit around listening to bits of wire.

Does anyone know where to find informations about manufacturers of the wires that Kimber or Audioquest uses? Where I could ask those questions?

You could always visit their websites and ask them for the suppliers of their raw material ..... Failng that use the search engine in the various audio forums that abound all over the net. It is possible someone has some insight into the origins of these cables.

Hi guys, I have just talked to a friend of mine and he told me about a link http://www.hornet.hr/Pages/AN_Parts.htm
I think I would contact them since I have bought from them before( I didn't know that they have wires in their catalogue also- few months before today they didn't).

rfbrw - thnx for Your answers
mourip - will look in their catalogue also :) - thnx
edit___nice catalogue (just looked at it thnx)

best regards
daniel

Silver plated solid core copper removes harmonic richness from the sound.

Much better solution is silver-and-then gold plated solid core copper! In fact, for hook-up wire I would always avoid silver plated copper.

Silver plated solid core copper could be okay for power cables, but not for interconnects / hook-up wiring.

A friend of mine makes and sells cables for living. He's been around for 20 + years - PSC Audio (Pure Silver Connection - Australia). I learned a lot from him. He also supplies me with high-quality stuff.

Very good signal conductor is pure silver ribbon, but it has to be annealed.

If you have to choose (on the cheap) between silver plated copper and OFC, I would always go for OFC.

And yes, everything benefits from high quality wire, best is to use light twist and avoid heavy shielding.

Extreme_Boky

Extreme_Boky said:
Silver plated solid core copper removes harmonic richness from the sound.

Much better solution is silver-and-then gold plated solid core copper! In fact, for hook-up wire I would always avoid silver plated copper.

Silver plated solid core copper could be okay for power cables, but not for interconnects / hook-up wiring.

A friend of mine makes and sells cables for living. He's been around for 20 + years - PSC Audio (Pure Silver Connection - Australia). I learned a lot from him. He also supplies me with high-quality stuff.

Very good signal conductor is pure silver ribbon, but it has to be annealed.

If you have to choose (on the cheap) between silver plated copper and OFC, I would always go for OFC.

And yes, everything benefits from high quality wire, best is to use light twist and avoid heavy shielding.

Extreme_Boky

Thnx for the reply...... I would also choose copper if I had a very good one. But..... on the other side I still suffer from the "silver is better". From my experience better , yes, but if You use it in entire audio chain. Well, I will try that Audio Note wire first since I have it in my country and in the meantime I would try to locate some good quality, single strand, copper wire to try it also....

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.