Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2005, 03:20 PM   #1
ronardi is offline ronardi  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default quality of pioneer PD-S703 as a transport

If I just want to use PD-S703 as a transport, is it a good choice? would the CD mechanism be better than those CDM12/VAM12? thanks
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:24 PM   #2
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

I once owned a PDS-701 which I wanted to use as a transport.

Pioneer made a big fuss about their "stable platter mechanism", but this idea was implemented so cheaply, it is at least as flimsy as all the other conventional off-the-shelve mechanisms out there.

It might look good from the outside, but take one apart and have a closer look. The drive electronics, clock, power supply and grounding schemes in these units are particularly bad, so my advice is to avoid them altogether.
Old 4th May 2005, 02:59 AM   #3
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I have to disagree on this as I have used a number of Pioneer cd players myself.

The tranport in your 703 is probably the same one in the Wadia 301 cd player.

I am using a Pioneer PD-S904 and my friend owns a Wadia 301. The transport is exactly the same - black plastic body with a Pioneer PEA1179 lens reading from the top of the mechanism.

I have the 701 right now and I must agree that the circultry is nothing to shout about. I suspect that the 703 would be based on similar circuitry.

My recommendation is that you look for players like the Pioneer PD-75, 77, 9700, 901, 707, 802 and 904.
Old 4th May 2005, 03:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
I also have to disagree, I've had the pd-801, pd-901 and now the PD-77 which is the same as the PD95.
All these as transports are about as good as you can get for sound quality, my PD-77 is now over 10 years old and still direct comparisons against a Theta, Roksan, and CEC belt drive, it sounds better, for some reason it gives more body to the mids and lower mids, it sounds more human for want of a better word, the others sound more sterile and thin in these areas.

I belive that the the way it supports the disc over it's entire area is the key, there is virtualy no vertical movement if you look at the disc spinning through the little window. Whereas if you look at the spinning discs on normally supported transports the disc can quiver vertically what seems like 2to3 mm, this has to tax the focusing drive much more than the Pioneer Stable platter and maybe send the error correction into overload or something.

Anyway that's my two-bobs worth and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers George
Old 4th May 2005, 04:02 AM   #5
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

The transport for the PD-77 and PD-75 is quite different from that of the PD-S801 and S901.

They are similar to the Pioneer PD-T09 shown in attached photo.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Btw, the Pioneer PD-9700 is the S901 without the Legato Link.
Old 4th May 2005, 04:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry my error, I shouldhave said the PD-77 is the same as PD-75, I have the 91 page service manual + the 16 page suplement manual and it is for both machines.

Cheers George
Old 4th May 2005, 10:29 AM   #7
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok. Maybe the question is whether these drives are actually "good" or merely "better" than the ridiculous crap they put in all the other mass production players.

All I can say is that in my PDS-701 platter and disc together make the very same vertical movements that the disc would do in a conventional transport. Also, looking at the picture above, would you expect that the platter is actually punched out from a thin aluminium sheet (cheapest quality)? The user is tricked to believe it is massive and comes from a lathe. I will post some pictures when I come home.

We are diy'ers, aren't we? What about a self-made CD turntable?
Old 4th May 2005, 03:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OliverD, I do'nt know about your PD701 but my PD77 patter is quality piece of gear, i put a straight edge across it and it's even slightly dished about half a mm so when the disc is clamped from above the edges are absoloutely flat .

Also the 4 springs that hold up each corner of the transport are the suspension, these 4 springs are coloured different colours and have different part numbers they all have different comperssion ratings and can only be put in that position. because the transport has a different weight in each corner.

And now for the disc motor, it's massive, it would do justice hanging ofhe side of a sewing machine, i've never seen such a solid motor in a cdplayer before.

I belive that Pioneer makes great transports their da and analog stage are hohum.
I can seen why a high end compaies Wadia and EAD use their transports because they work and they make mechanical sense in the way their designed.

Andrew (Ronardi) get one if you can find one second hand, their getting faily scarce and fetch good money i've noticed especially the upper end ones, and watch out not all have digital coax out, especially the lower end ones.

Cheers George
Old 4th May 2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Banned

I do not know one Wadia model from another, but I do know that they used the -501 in one of them. Had nothing to do with it being high quality, just something that they could get cheap enough that had some allure of quality about it, e.g. the disc went in upside down.

IIRC, the 701 was fancier looking inside. They copper plated the chassis, put little metal enclosures around all the circuitry, stuff like that. But basically the same thing tarted up considerably.

As for digital output............the jumper that enables it is there on the cheap ones that don't have an output. But the circuit is awful. You could not pay me to use it.

I have one ( 501) laying around somewhere. It collects dust, as I have CD-80s. The 701s can't compete with it, either.

Jocko
Old 5th May 2005, 05:20 PM   #10
ronardi is offline ronardi  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

thanks all of your comments!

Now the situation changes a little bit. I could find a nearly new pioneer PD-T07A(seem to be PD95 in us) in a local shop, but the price is not cheap, about US$550 and one teac vrds 10N in mint condition at US$530. Are their price good? and which cd mechcanism is better? the VRDS or SPM? I don't care much about quality of internal DAC as I had a nice DIY AD1865 DAC already, so what I care is the quality and durability of the transport. Could any of you give me some suggestion?

Hide this!Advertise here!