Recording down to DC on CD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there anything in the CD recording format that would stop you from "recording" discrete DC levels? I am thinking of generating various voltage levels and slopes and profiles for the purpose of an electronically driven test bed. Obviously I would have to take the output signal directly from the DAC, upstream of any ac coupled analogue stages. Does the whole concept sound feasible?

GP.

Is there anything in the CD recording format that would stop you from "recording" discrete DC levels?
No.
Obviously I would have to take the output signal directly from the DAC, upstream of any ac coupled analogue stages. Does the whole concept sound feasible?[/B]
That's possible. I personally use Matlab to generate wav files of test signals and burn them to cd. Beats the signal generator in terms of linearity and phase noise.

You may find though, that for certain dacs and certain DC levels, THD increases since the designers were smart enough to put the MSB (i.e. polarity) transition away from zero.

Regards,
Remco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.