DIY transport w/ CDROM drive vs player as transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

If I DIYing cd transport, based on CDROM drive (that has digital out), will it be as good or even better than take digital out of low-end/medium cd-player (like Marantz CD4000/5000/6000 or NAD c series or Arcam's)?

The cost of DIY-in transport can be about the same as to get old cd player with digital out...

MEanwhile, I'm also looking information on some CDROM drive (e.g. ASUS' S520) that has digital out. They never mentioned to have SPDIF format.. are they actually use this format? or something else?

Thanks,
---
David

Regarding the digital output the CD-ROM,i have tried it connected to my dad's Yamaha DSP-A3090 digital input without any problem.:)

We do have audio manufacturers like Meridian,Audio Analogue and AVM using CD-ROM as transport inside their CD player.So a CD-ROM is a cheap and cheerful choice for audio too.

Try to hear it yourself the differences between a CD-ROM and a budget CD player.Each has its own good side and bad side.

Hi Leolabs,

if I have opportunity to hear both, cd-rom based transport compared to cd player based transport, that would be great.

Unfortunately, with my local salary level, even spending US$25 for the cd-rom drive (and would be more for the PSU and additional control circuit) is something that I must judge carefully, since that amount of money is very precious for me. So, I cannot just build the drive and compare with whatever I have. Supposed that I build the drive, that must be because of the promising performance reason, and when it is finished I have to sell my existing player to get supporting money in turn...

Hi Ninfendo,

basic control, like play/pause/stop etc would not be a problem with additional circuits to the drive (covered somewhere in this forum, you can search for it...)

REgards,
---
David

Hi!I HAVE MADE MY OWN CD-PLAYER USING A PLEXTOR PX-740A DVD-ROM AS TRANSPORT,CD CONTROLLER KIT I BOUGHT FROM EBAY,AND THE POWER SUPPLY IS A TRADITIONAL LM317K WITH 2 OUTPUTS 5V,12V.DEAR FRIENDS I CONSTRUCTED THIS A YEAR AGO,AND I HAVEN"T ANY PROBLEM.NO SKIPING,NO STRANGES ON READING ANY DISC.THE D/A IS 24/96 WITH IT"S OWN POWER SUPPLY.THE SOUND IS FAR BETTER THAN MY AUDIO ANALOGUE MAESTRO CD-PLAYER.IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE YOU CAN HAVE PERFECT AUDIO RESULTS,WITHOUT SPEND MEGABUCKS FOR IT.

Hi!I HAVE MADE MY OWN CD-PLAYER USING A PLEXTOR PX-740A DVD-ROM AS TRANSPORT,CD CONTROLLER KIT I BOUGHT FROM EBAY,AND THE POWER SUPPLY IS A TRADITIONAL LM317K WITH 2 OUTPUTS 5V,12V.DEAR FRIENDS I CONSTRUCTED THIS A YEAR AGO,AND I HAVEN"T ANY PROBLEM.NO SKIPING,NO STRANGES ON READING ANY DISC.THE D/A IS 24/96 WITH IT"S OWN POWER SUPPLY.THE SOUND IS FAR BETTER THAN MY AUDIO ANALOGUE MAESTRO CD-PLAYER.IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE YOU CAN HAVE PERFECT AUDIO RESULTS,WITHOUT SPEND MEGABUCKS FOR IT.

Can you send varuious pics from the actually transport and laser head of Plextor's PX-740A?
Here a review from this DVD drive:
Plextor PX-740A | Overclockers Online
http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/5000310/

Can you send varuious pics from the actually transport and laser head of Plextor's PX-740A?
Here a review from this DVD drive:
Hi I Found this item on Ebay new in price 189$US,It"s an IDE/ATARI DVD-ROM unit.You can find specifications on ebay just clicking PX-740A.The cd-rom controller it was from ebay.You can find it clicking "'cd-rom comtrollers"' on ebay.I have bought 4 of these.All worked perfect,and are remote controlled.All the other parts{ power supply,d/a chassis} has been made by me.

Are these kits still available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.