AK4396 - latest DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before you spend to much time/money on a custom design, I would suggest you buy the evaluation board that is described here:
www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4396/ekd4396-a0-1.pdf

Usually a 2 or 3 hundred dollars maybe less.
Then decide if you can do better than AKM.

In fact I would buy the eval board, then improve it with better parts and clean power supply before building one from scratch.

cheers
paba

paba said:
Before you spend to much time/money on a custom design, I would suggest you buy the evaluation board that is described here:
www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4396/ekd4396-a0-1.pdf

Usually a 2 or 3 hundred dollars maybe less.
Then decide if you can do better than AKM.

In fact I would buy the eval board, then improve it with better parts and clean power supply before building one from scratch.

cheers
paba

For $2-$300, I would be amazed if you could not do a better job than the ev brd.

Hey I'm sure it is possible,

Granted there is some sales margin on the price of the eval board, but if you add distinct power supplies with say Jung super regulators on each PS, and individual transformers for each... just this power supply improvement will set you back some. Then there is a good pcb layout, few people can do that right the first time. Then if you work on that output section with separate power and better op amps, or maybe even tubes = more $$.

I'll stop here because I haven't done a PCB design and layout in about 10 years, so I could soon slip an be making statements that I can't back up with proof.

cheers
Paba

paba said:
Hey I'm sure it is possible,

Granted there is some sales margin on the price of the eval board, but if you add distinct power supplies with say Jung super regulators on each PS, and individual transformers for each... just this power supply improvement will set you back some. Then there is a good pcb layout, few people can do that right the first time. Then if you work on that output section with separate power and better op amps, or maybe even tubes = more $$.

I'll stop here because I haven't done a PCB design and layout in about 10 years, so I could soon slip an be making statements that I can't back up with proof.

cheers
Paba

It takes no great skill to pour money into something, just ask Nortel. A well thought out minimalist design is well within range but if you do want to throw 1KVA Avel-Lindbergs at each rail and liberally sprinkle the design with cerdip milspec opamps then, of course, $2-$300 might well cramp your style.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.