Marantz CD5000 erratic playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a Marantz CD5000 off of EBAY. The seller said that the unit worked fine. However, I find the playback very erratic. When it plays a standard CD, it sounds great. But when I stop the play and reload the cd, it gives an error message. I cannot get the player to recognize the cd until I wait for an hour or more. I have not been able to play more than a few tracks at a time.

The unit was not packed well: only cushioned with newpapers. I suspect that the laser unit is weak, but some other part may have been damaged during shipping.

Should I return the unit, or should I try to replace the laser pick-up?

thank you very much,
don burgess

additional information

When I listen to a track, the player works for about two minutes. Then, I hear a build-up of a low-frequecy flutter (sounds like an instability) and the unit stops playing. I wait for awhile and I can repeat the symptoms with a different track.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix that could be reimbursed? Or should I simply return the unit?

thanks,
don burgess

I have found an error and have been thinking about posting it but have not jet done it.

It is so major f####up from Marantz side that it would really shed a bad light on them ....

Meantime just e-mail me and I'll send the details.

If there are more people who have this problem then I will post what I have.

Regards,
Ergo

service manual

When I watch the cd-rom spin, I see a noticable wobble. How much wobble is expected?

I do not see any obvious burn marks on the pcb boards.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a Service Manual for a Marantz CD5000/3ub?

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting advice? I have access to an oscilloscope and to a voltmeter.

thank you very much,
don burgess

The "wobble" might be normal. Very many cd-s are not perfectly centered and so will have some instability when turned it the player.

I suggest you put a cd in and listen very carefully near the transport with cover open and music muted. If the laser reads ok it makes just silent monotonic noise. When the laser looses track then it starts to adjust the focus rapidly and seek back and forth...

Now try to insert different cd-s and compare the laser "noises" even when the disk initialises already. If you can hear that the laser has trouble either initializing some cd-s or reading them but works ok for the some other cd-s then it is most likely the laser that is near death and needs replacing.

Ergo

laser replacement

Thanks Ergo, I think the laser unit may need to be replaced.

I have the following quotes:

Grandata Limited
CDM 12.1 Mechanism with a grey wheel
£ 18.00 + carriage + vat

sales@donberg.ie
VAM 1201 21241/G at 36.81 Euro in stock
Handling 20.00 Euro to usa
Total 56.81 Euro

Nucleus Computer Services P/L
VAM1201
Total $28

Can anyone give me advice on which unit to purchase and from which company? Does the "CDM 12.1 Mechanism" include both laser and transport?

thanks for your help,
don burgess

installation hints

ergo said:
Hi,

I have been ordering them from
dalbani.co.uk

The WAM1202J works ok there.

It includes the laser head and the rail guide piece with the cd turning motor and the laser head movng motor.

Regards
Ergo

Thanks Ergo.

Do you have access to any schematics for the Marantz CD5000? Do you know where I could measure the "Eye Pattern" or the test point for measuring laser power to make sure the laser pick-up needs to be replaced?

best,
don burgess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.