Sony CDP-222ESD tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: No...

Scorpio(DDMF)! said:
Guytou statement isn't true?

No, this isn't true:

guytou said:
(generally there is a serie resistor between the DAC and the first opamp)

Scorpio(DDMF)! said:
I was wondering if I could get the same effect with removing the op-amps, and soldering mentioned capacitor (8 µF) directly to the interconnect cable (for test purposes), and later if I should like the sound, solder the cap directly to RCA plug?

For passive I/V with the TDA1541A what works best for me is 33R.
In any case, with passive I/V, you need an output stage with gain.

Re: Re: No...

Scorpio(DDMF)! said:

Guytou statement isn't true?

I was wondering if I could get the same effect with removing the op-amps, and soldering mentioned capacitor (8 µF) directly to the interconnect cable (for test purposes), and later if I should like the sound, solder the cap directly to RCA plug?

Cheers :D

One would not expect to see a series resistor at the output of a current-out dac like the TDA1541. The current output is normally connected directly to the inverting input of the i/v op-amp and the feedback r & c. In order to try Guytou's mod you would have to isolate the two outputs of the TDA1541, AOL and AOR, and then connect each output to ground through an appropriately sized resistor. You could then connect the junction of each resistor and its respective output, via a capacitor of your choice, to the relevant RCA.

hi scorpio , rbfwb said very well , this kind of DAC has a current output , and the goal of the mod is transform the current in tension by the mean of a resistor instead of an op-amp , and therefore cut the path between AOL/AOR(pin 6 and 25 of 1541) and I/V first op-amp , and tap your resistor the way rbfwb said . 100 ohms works well , with 33 ohms the output level would be too weak .Try a good polypro to begin .Anyway this mod is effective ,no-cost and reversible , worth to try .Regards .

A little problem

Well I did the first tweak...

I listened to proposition and bought some (aldough lower quality) capacitors, and exchanged stock ones. Sound became (to my ears) more detailed in midange ... music was very "present" and "live" (very nice change ), folowed by a little more bass...

But, I think I messed something up in the process :xeye: ...

I noticed that some voltage regulators are very hot to the touch...

Let me explain: I exchanged c506, c406 with 47 µF 50V and c416, c417 with 470 µF 50V generic el cons. Was very satisfied with the sound so I let the player play for about 1-2 h.
Also, I've tried combination of 220 µF 50V caps on possitions c406 and c506...

After that I noticed that player is hoter then normal (it gets hot, but I think this time seemed a little hotter than usual), I opened it, and noticed that I can barely put a finger on IC904, 905 and 906, while IC901, 902 and 903 were only warm... (think that all ICs from this list are MC 7815CT. Also, IC401 (AD826) was little cooler to the touch, but still hot...

Strange thing is that IC904 has an heatsink (wich helps a little), while others (905,906) don't have them...

IC901, 902 and 903 have heatsinks also, but are only "plesently warm"...
TDA 1541 chip gets warm, but nothing more...

OK, this has been an long description, but the question is simple: Are regulators wich provide voltage to TDA chip and op-amps (I presume this is their task) supposed to get hot like this? Have I blown the DAC?

Opservation: Regulators get hot very quick when I turn the player ON (like in 1 min. time), but player works OK, with no aparent flaws in the sound. Also, player worked for 30 min. with no problems (didn't want to test it longer until I hear from you guys :))
Regulators act the same with and without the op-amps...

Help please? :confused:

heat

Some of the regs in my XB770 get extremely hot, far hotter than i would like if i was designing the unit. I think ifyou made any serious errors that the unit would not play correctly and would certainly not be sounding better. i would also recommend you double check the polarity of ur new cap's. if possible fit larger heatsinks to the reg's aswell.

Chris

guytou said:
Hi,didn't you make accidentally a short -circuit on a supply line(with a drop of solder)?Or did'nt you mount a chimic cap upside down ?

Well, I do remember that I've accidently separated (in al lack of better expression) one of the legs of IC907 from the PCB (more like it was loose, not completly separated), and that player worked for an hour like that. After restoring the stock caps, I re-soldered it to the PCB... Maybe it "gave" TDA1541 too much juce? :eek:
As for the caps, all are mounted correctly (I triple check it) :angel:

Kitjunky said:
Some of the regs in my XB770 get extremely hot, far hotter than i would like if i was designing the unit. I think ifyou made any serious errors that the unit would not play correctly and would certainly not be sounding better. i would also recommend you double check the polarity of ur new cap's. if possible fit larger heatsinks to the reg's aswell.

Chris

It would be possible to fit heatsinks on the regulators that don't have tham, but I don't think it's the right way to go, simply because the regs were working without them for 20 years, so it must be OK? :hot:

In the TDA1541 datasheet it states that DAC itself draws about 45mA of current. This can't make it hot, or can it?
I'll check the regulators data sheets also to see how much current are they capable to deliver...

Thx for quick answers guys, please bear with me until I get to the bottom of this problem (or it isn't a problem, and I'm imagining it? :cannotbe: )

Any more suggestions?
Does TDA1541 get warm in operation and do voltage regulators of this type (wich power it) get extremly hot?

Cheers... :smash:

P.S. I will also have the sm for the player soon, so I'll check all the voltages around the DAC?

Fryed dac ?

I find it hard to accept that a fry'd dac chip drawing excesive current would still be sounding good, usually when theres a barbacue in the offering there's no sound or badly distorted sound:hot: .

did you actually check how hot things were before you started the mod:confused: cos its easy to start panicing when youve changed something

Been there, got the tea shirt;)

Yes , scorpio , would you mean that the player is much more hotter than before your mods , or you did'nt notice before ?
What i could say is on my CD 40 , the 1541 is just tepid , regs too , on can let a finger on , and surely if you get sound , the DAC is'nt fryed . regards .

Re: Heat

Kitjunky said:
There are 3 3pin regs in my XB770 that are so hot they can burn, thats just the way it is. dont forget most 3pin regs have thermal & overcurrent shutdown to.

Chris

Why don't you put some small heatsinks there?
Sony didn't put heatsinks because they were too expensive.:clown:
The usual 78xx/79xx thinggies have a current limit of 150~200ma if not heatsinked. They can get extremely hot.
The player may be asking for more current, and they are not regulating very well.

heat is not my firend

Hi,

Well, there are 3 things that make me suspect something is wrong:

1. Regulators heat up realy quickly (around 1min.).

Remember that all regulators here (MC7805CT,7815CT,7905CT,7915CT) are capable of delivering around 500 mA of current. TDA1541 needs: 5V, 45mA on pin 28, -5V, 45mA on pin 26 and -15V 25mV on pin15. Only regulators that are connected to the DAC are overheating, others are only warm...

2. Transformer in the power supply gets hot.

After 1h of playing, I cannot put a finger on the transformer for more then 1-2 sec.

3. The op-amp in position IC401 gets realy hot after 30min. - 1h, while op-amp in position IC501 is only warm.

I've changed the op-amp in the IC401 pos. but the problem is still there. I remember that both op-amps were only warm after long listening sessions.

My conclusion: Something is drawing a LOT of current. I suspect the DAC is the culprit, because only components directly connected to it are overheating.

My only problem is that I don't have a spare DAC to test my theory (only TDA1541A is alvaible)

With this symptoms, what do you guys think is the problem?

Cheers. :smash:

P.S. I think that a drop of solder (very small, found it with magnyfing glass) betwen in and out ports of one of the regulators started all my trouble. Seems that the DAC was fed 15V (due to short circuit) on one of it's 5v pins :dead:

rfbrw said:
Have you changed IC401 or simply replaced it with the same type?

At first, I replaced it with the same type (AD826), but after I've tryed ne5532 (stock configuration)...
Results were the same....
Note: AD826 was working in that place for 2 years now with no problems, until 2-3 days ago, when I messed something up :bawling:

Just bought and installed some new voltage regs, but still, everythings the same :(

Cheers :apathic:

P.S. I'm running out of ideas, maybe I'll take the player to local Sony service center in a few days.. :dodgy:

Scorpio(DDMF)! said:
P.S. I'm running out of ideas, maybe I'll take the player to local Sony service center in a few days.. :dodgy:

Noooo:att'n:
Not a Sony service.:bawling:
They will skin you alive...

Are you sure you didn't mount a cap with reversed polarity after a regulator?
Also, check for shorts, follow the PSU tracks after the regs, measure.
Remove the TDA1541A dac chip and turn on the player.
Don't quit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.