Sony CDP-222ESD tweaking - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2005, 12:03 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tvi
From the CDP222ESD/505ESD/910 service Manual

Regards
James
Hi, sorry to bother you, but is there a possibility for you to send me the service manual, or point me to it on the web?

Also, do you have an better picture of the shematic?

Cheers...

Others: If you can please join in to share some more ideas

THX in advance

Cheers
Old 1st May 2005, 08:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

How would the sound benefit from replacing stock capacitors with some higher quaility ones?

Please suggest wich ones are critical, and maybe type of capacitor wich would be a good replacement?

Cheers
Old 1st May 2005, 09:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

For a start I would replace C506 & C406 with at least 47uF 50v Nichicon Muse or Black Gates or Elna Silmic.

This should give a deeper more controlled bass responce

Chris
Old 1st May 2005, 10:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I would also replace C416 & C417 with 470uf 25v or more Nichicon Muse

Chris
Old 2nd May 2005, 05:55 AM   #15
guytou is offline guytou  France
diyAudio Member

Default 222ESD mod

hi scorpio , you should try a I/V conversion with a simple resistor of 100 ohms tapped between iout of 1541 and ground .After that you hook a wire and a coupling cap(8 uF) between pinout and RCA plug , that's all .No need of pos-filtering since there is O/S .
Try it and say us how you feel . Thee only drawback is that you
got to loss some level , you would have around 400mV instead of
2 V , but i think it's sufficient .Ah , don't forget to cut the path to the analogue stage .(generally there is a serie resistor between the DAC and the first opamp).Now you have almost the same implementation than a10.000 euros Wadia 2000 .Enjoy !
Old 2nd May 2005, 09:38 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 222ESD mod

Quote:
Originally posted by guytou
hi scorpio , you should try a I/V conversion with a simple resistor of 100 ohms tapped between iout of 1541 and ground .After that you hook a wire and a coupling cap(8 uF) between pinout and RCA plug , that's all .No need of pos-filtering since there is O/S .
2 V , but i think it's sufficient .Ah , don't forget to cut the path to the analogue stage .(generally there is a serie resistor between the DAC and the first opamp).Now you have almost the same implementation than a10.000 euros Wadia 2000 .Enjoy !
Not only will you loose level,you will also loose drive and your CD player will now be extremely sensitiive to the kind of load presented by the cable and downstream kit.
And you will have nothing remotely comparable, technically speaking, to a Wadia.
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default 222es IV out mod

Another down'r of doing an IV mode on this setup is that you would loose de'emphasis on discs that require it (dont know how many disks are actualy recorded with de,emph though).

Chris
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:08 PM   #18
pku is offline pku  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Sorry with late reply. Yes, I mean that. The disk drive generate a lot of EMF noise.
The covering should be para-magnetic steel sheet, which will well absorb the magnetic wave noise, also electrical wave noise. You can buy galvnized steel sheet from tools&hardware store.
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guytou
OK, thx, will try this. Sorry to ask, but what kind of capacitor should I use?
Will an simple pulling of the opamps out of their sockets do the trick for "loosing the analogue stage", or I'll need to desolder an resistor?

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
Not only will you loose level,you will also loose drive and your CD player will now be extremely sensitiive to the kind of load presented by the cable and downstream kit.
And you will have nothing remotely comparable, technically speaking, to a Wadia.
Can you point me to the name of this procedure, so I can do a search and see all pros and cons, rather than bothering you all to write your thoughts on it again?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitjunky
For a start I would replace C506 & C406 with at least 47uF 50v Nichicon Muse or Black Gates or Elna Silmic.

I would also replace C416 & C417 with 470uf 25v or more Nichicon Muse

This should give a deeper more controlled bass responce

Chris

THX Chris, will try...

Cheers

P.S. Boy, this will be one busy weekend
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio(DDMF)!

Can you point me to the name of this procedure, so I can do a search and see all pros and cons, rather than bothering you all to write your thoughts on it again?

Not sure what procedure you are referring to but if you mean passive
i/v using a resistor then see here,
http://httpd.chello.nl/%7em.heijlige...alogue/IV.html

Hide this!Advertise here!