74xx74 a good digital output (AES-EBU/SPDIF)driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I opened my transport yesterday to find that the digital signal goes through some 74AC74's then into a transformer (for AES-EBU) before reaching the output jacks (SPDIF and AES-EBU).

I am a newbie on digital, but thought that 74ac74, while good (maybe?) for reclocking, was not exactly a great line driver.
Can anyone recommend a driver/buffer I can use for the digital output of the transport. Should this be before or after the output transformer?

As far as possible, please try not to be too cryptic in your advice-this is foreign territory and I need all the help I can get, including where possible, circuit diagrams!

Ryan

Thanks

Thanks for the input Jocko-you confirmed my suspicions. Any ideas on how to go about "fixing" this digital output:
1. What to replace the AC logic with?
2. If not using Q and Q bar for balanced, what is the alternative
3. Does the output require some sort of buffer-if so, what do you suggest?

1.) HC works fine. I have used VHC. Looks ok, but to tell the truth, I have never listened to any circuits with it in.

2.) A transformer works. You have to find the right one, and fiddle with it some. Two XOR gates will give differential outputs. You can combine both ideas.

3.) With a transformer, you will need to put a cap before it. Some resistors to lower the level, and limit the current load on the logic gate.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.