My new toy (Marantz CD80) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Tomg is offline Tomg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Talking My new toy (Marantz CD80)

I picked up another Marantz CD80 today with some rather interesting internal mods in it, it has had all caps replaced (as far as I can see), op amps changed, relays changed, new belts, new clock, regulated PSU for said clock and a new digital output. Oh, and I think it's no longer oversampling. It is absolutely mint on the outside and it came with the orignal remote so I'm a happy bunny

Anywho, it sounds a damn sight cleaner and detailed than my unmodified CD80 yet still retains the best bits.

pics of internals

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd April 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Looks very well done, I particularly like the extra brackets and the tidy work.

Caps in the power supply are all original ( and 15 years old ) so there is still some work left for you I have the impression it has a new output stage but the old one is still in it ( but bypassed ) and can be removed. I can't explain the function of the extra pcb near the output otherwise. I guess it is a commercially modded machine.
Old 3rd April 2005, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is commercially done, I'm in the process of finding out exactly what's gone on inside it, but it has certainly improved the sound significantly, I'd like to put it up against some more modern expensive machines now, just a shame I don't have access to any! :lol:
Old 3rd April 2005, 02:49 PM   #4

Don't be surprised if it sounds way better ( if you can find a player good enough to compare with at all ).
Old 3rd April 2005, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't be, I put my original CD80 against some expensive Arcam beast and prefered the CD80 by far. So did the dealer who was selling the Arcam...

One thing about it though is the muting circuits don't appear to be working properly, at switch on and off there are some really nasty pops, is there an easy way to diagnose/fix this? The relays do appear to switch on and off with the power but not at the same time as my other CD80. Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2005, 02:59 PM   #6

Try to get hold of schematics. Maybe the timing of the muting circuit could be somewhat improved.
Old 3rd April 2005, 03:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I will, thanks, but I don't know how useful they're going to be, all the numbers from the op-amps have been ground off so you can't tell what they are
Old 3rd April 2005, 03:12 PM   #8

Don't worry. We'll probably find out together with interested members. Please post them.
Old 3rd April 2005, 03:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok, will do, I've emailed the company who modified it and asked them for details on what they did and I sent them a load of closeup photos of the innards, I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them
Old 3rd April 2005, 06:26 PM   #10
PAM is offline PAM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

One thing about it though is the muting circuits don't appear to be working properly, at switch on and off there are some really nasty pops, is there an easy way to diagnose/fix this? The relays do appear to switch on and off with the power but not at the same time as my other CD80. Any ideas would be appreciated

I think its caused by the non oversampling mod in the digital filter. The relais are only operated by switching on and off, so not for muting.

Peter.

Hide this!Advertise here!