Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2005, 03:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Different ways to transport SPDIF Audio signals

Media clients are en vogue today with all their advantages and disadvantages. I was looking for a simple way (without media client) to transport digital audio from the PC in my workroom to my audio system in the living room. I had no free coax between those two rooms so transporting SPDIF seems to be impossible.
Looking around I found out that the professional AES/EBU-standard transports digital audio via twisted pair. Accidentally I found a twisted telephone wire in the wall from my workroom to the living room with a length of approximately 15 meters.
From Neutrik I ordered a NADITBNC-FX (female) and a -MX (male) for aprx. 100Euro. Those units have a transformer inside converting 75Ohm coax to 110Ohm twisted pair (see http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/i...ung/index.html ).
At the wall I installed XLR connectors which I connected to two twisted wires inside the 10 wire telephone cord. I ONLY connected those two wires (pin 2 and 3), NO ground to get galvanic isolation between the workroom and the living room. In the wall outlets I plugged the Neutik transformers and in the transformers 75Ohm coax wires with one side BNC and the other Cinch. The signal arriving in the living room looks quite good on the scope (eye diagram) for 44.1 and also 96kHz. The ensuing listening test gave no difference between a SPDIF signal coming directly from the CD-Transport and that coming from the PC in the workroom.

Has anybody else experience transporting Digital Audio signals maybe via video wireless transmission (also 75Ohm!), media clients or those boxes transferring the signals via powerline and if, what about price and 96kHz?

Charly

Hide this!Advertise here!