digital volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default digital volume control

Hi all, I have searched google, and these forums for an answer to my question .......

I have a CD transport (exact details irrelevant) which outputs left justified 16/44.1 in the 3-wire serial.

I am building a little circuit to give the unit a toslink output to feed into my digital EQ (DEQ2496) and digital X-Over (DCX2496), but there is a problem,

I need to be able to turn down the volume (using PA amps, no external gain controls).

is there a small circuit which can take the 3-serial or toslink data from the transport and subsequently reduce the output level?

the existing 'analog' volume control is the rotary phase type knob, which I can parallel into the 'digital volume' circuit prior to toslink convertor

I would prefer a solution which up-converts the CD audio to 24/96 prior to the volume control, so as not to lose resolution in the attenuation stage, then I can feed the signal to the EQ - all digital.

please

Simon
Old 31st March 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I'm using the src 2496 as the main input device - feeding it with signal (digital) from satellite receiver, cd and analog phono preamp.
From there on the signal passes to the deq, dcx where it gets converted back to analog and passes through two six gang pots for volume control before it gets to the power amps. You could do the same with a remote controlled digital volume control:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/DigitalPotentiometers.cfm
Old 31st March 2005, 02:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: digital volume control

Quote:
Originally posted by Pulse-R

<snip>
is there a small circuit which can take the 3-serial or toslink data from the transport and subsequently reduce the output level?

<snip>
I would prefer a solution which up-converts the CD audio to 24/96 prior to the volume control, so as not to lose resolution in the attenuation stage, then I can feed the signal to the EQ - all digital.

please

Simon
TI SRC4193.
Old 5th April 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

thankyou - have looked at these 4193's now, and placed an order
)
Old 5th April 2005, 01:33 PM   #5
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

If you build a working solution around that chip, I for one would be quite interested in seeing the code/design.

Hide this!Advertise here!