Non O/S views, Mission PCMII CDP and TDA1541 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2005, 10:18 AM   #1
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Non O/S views, Mission PCMII CDP and TDA1541

I have been messing with the above Mission CDP for a few days now. At this time it is stock standard except for sockets fitted to accommodate op amp rolling in the future.
My main CDP is a Theta Data Basic II with a DS Pro Basic II played through an Electrocompaniet ECI3 and Audio Physic Step speakers.
The Theta rig is more refined, sweeter and more open then the mission player in STD guise and probably beats it in all areas but there is one thing that is odd. Over the last few days I have found myself drawn to listening to the Mission quite a lot and there is something in the presentation that I like. I think it may be the character/presentation of the TDA1541A DAC, it has a bubblyness and exuberance I like.
Before the Theta I used other players (most recent to long ago * denotes mods) Philips CD620*, Marantz CD17* + trichord clock, Philips CD850* trichord clock, Kenwood midi system CDP with QED Digit*, Yamaha CDX550, Pioneer PD4500.
Strangely I enjoyed my Philips 620 with lots of mods but not as much or in the same way as the Mission. Could this be CDM4/19 vs. CDM4/11?

I have now done the non O/s mod on the Mission and it certainly seems to have removed a veil and offers a very direct exciting presentation that in some areas is now better then the Theta. There is however a lot of energy in the HF on complex material that may get annoying after a while. Is this the effect of the digital gunge that now remains in non O/S? Has anyone optimised a filter or OP stage? I was not convinced about passive I/V when I heard it as to me it lacked punch…

From all this I believe the TDA1541 may not be the best DAC chip ever but it has a unique presentation that does something better then others that many will love and follow for years. Maybe a bit like the LP12 or Lowthers etc.

I have the Pedja non O/S board and an S1 TDA1541 that I must still build. It will be interesting to hear what that will bring.
How good is the CDM4/11 transport used in the Mission, compared to a 9 pro in Theta?

All in all I am just amazed at how far CD has come in some ways and in others not at all….. If I could get rid of that HF tizz/energy I could easily become a non O/S fan. It is really nice on simple stuff. Maybe the op amps are the limits. I will roll some 2604/2134 and 604 and 134 and see where it all goes. Soft recovery diodes will happen I guess and so will those stargets, cerafine etc. Just want to be careful and not put all the energy into this not very sellable player (due to age) instead of the Pedja DAC which must hold more promise…..

Any views, thought and opinions invited please.
Old 29th March 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
TDA1540 is offline TDA1540  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could this be CDM4/19 vs. CDM4/11?
Yes,together with the decoder.
Old 29th March 2005, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi TDA1540. Do you rate the SAA7210 above SAA7310GP?

I am sure the 4/11 with the hall motor is better then the 4/19.
There are also TDA5708/9 vs TDA8808/9 etc...
Old 29th March 2005, 11:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You are right.I should have written chipset.

The 5708/5709/7210 combination together with a Hall-cdm sounds better to me.More open,more agile.
Old 29th March 2005, 04:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The 5708/5709/7210 combination together with a Hall-cdm sounds better to me.More open,more agile.
Good description. I will still listen to this player as a transport... Beginning to think of rebuilding it into a decent box, top loader with magnetic clamp... I will insert a magnet into the spindle and use a CDM9 car loader puck I have kicking around. Long term project though. Expect to get to finality on something like that toward year end

Several transformers, PLL digital output, better clock and soft diodes etc....
Old 29th March 2005, 05:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

not so sure that converting it to a toploader will improve the sound.
I have a cdm2 with iron turntable.When it spins with the magnetic clamp on top ,the rafoc begins to wobble.Not so nice for the servo,I think.

Hide this!Advertise here!