CDP (Micromega) DAC/output upgrade (newbie questions) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2005, 07:50 PM   #1
R79 is offline R79  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default CDP (Micromega) DAC/output upgrade (newbie questions)

Hello All

This will be my first post here after visiting this site many times over the past year.

I'm brand new to all this and have only messed around with very minor tweaks, DIY cables etc.. and turntable tweaks. Now I want to delve into the world of audio electronics and must admit, I'm a little scared. By the way, I know virtually nothing about electronics and am approaching this from a pragmatic angle using the knowledge and experience of others. This way I hope ot learn a bit more.

OK, enough of the pre-amble ......

After much deliberation, I've decided that my first tweak/mod will be the CD player. I don't have any schematics and, to be honest, don't really know which part of the DAC board does what. So after reading a load of posts on various forums here's what I plan to do (not all in one go)..

The CDP is a Micromega Stage 4 BTW ...

1) Replace the NE5532 opamps (I think these are part of the analog output stage). I want to try a couple of opamps ... Burr-Brown OPA2134s and OPA2604s. Also intend to install a couple of IC sockets to make experimentation a little easier and reduce the risk of me frying anything.

2) Replace the 1000uF/25V electrolytics in the analog output stage. Thought about some Black Gate fellas but then managed to source some Elna Duorex for a fraction of the cost.

3) Replace the TL072ACP (right next to the phono output) with a Burr-Brown OPA2134.

4) Depending on how things go, I may replace the NE5534P. I'm not sure what this one does. If it seems worth it, I may replace some of the other caps.

OK, so here are my questions......

By dropping in these opamps, do I need to consider anything like adding any RF decoupling, pin configuration problems or should I be safe just dropping them in ? Anything else I need to worry about ?

Does this upgrade path make any sense ? Are there any better approaches ?

I've gained a lot of info from other posts but really need a little direct guidance. Any help or advice for my maiden voyage into this kind of modding/upgrading would be very much appreciated as I really don't want to put the CDP out of commission

Hope you can help .....

Hide this!Advertise here!