Audiophile PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am designing a new listening system, and I am intrigued by the idea of buying a nice soundcard (nothing over the top, but maybe an M-Audio, etc), and (now this is the hard part), making the computer do a 3 way fully adjustable crossover and parametric EQ, and output it via the different outputs on the soundcard.

Is this even remotely possible? I've been asking around and gotten no responses so far, but I am excited by the idea. I have a spare CPU that isn't getting much work (2ghz, 512meg ram, etc).

Yes, it's very possible. There's actually a bunch of stuff out there for it. Most of it consists of Linux with low-latency kernel patches, and a bunch of EMU10K sound cards (soundblaster Live's, I believe), running BruteFIR.

I suggest doing a search on "BruteFIR" or "Linux Crossover" and see what you can find. Searching is your friend :D

There's also a dedicated section on the headfi.com forums for computers-as-source that may have more answers for you.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.