Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

capacitor properties II

6h5c said:
[Anyway,

I've tried all three of them, and I like silver-mica and polystyrene the best. In the filter that is :clown:.

Ray.

Considering capacitor properties in the audio frequency dielectric absorbsion is important. Known HQ filter components have either PPS, teflon, polystyrene or polypropylene isolation.
Although mica is not too bad for dielectric the (very exact) silvered mica caps I use are magnetic. Does anybody know in what degree this magnetism is harmful, considering the fact there's a lot of RF in the player.

Regards, Jaap

Poop

Just fitted the discrete pcb into my uber 63....

...the sound is so open and clear with much more bass in mine than that test 67. So in that respect im very happy.

on a downside I have crackling in the audio which points to a bad earth but they are all ok...mmmmm

It wont always play a cd if the RCA are connected to amp. Strange!!

Further investigations are needed, probably tomorrow now

Brent

rowemeister said:
Poop

Just fitted the discrete pcb into my uber 63....

...the sound is so open and clear with much more bass in mine than that test 67. So in that respect im very happy.

on a downside I have crackling in the audio which points to a bad earth but they are all ok...mmmmm

It wont always play a cd if the RCA are connected to amp. Strange!!

Further investigations are needed, probably tomorrow now

Brent

using amp rca as earth?

Sorted. The display heater connection was arcing and causing the pick up on audio. Funny how the display still worked though LOL

Anyway, ive listened to a few tracks from a few cds.

It sounds nothing like it did on the 67, it sounds very warm yet natural with very good bass, every little detail is there in the music. The standard 67 sounded alot colder and thinner (but then it should really).

Can't wait to really test it over the weekend, thanks to Ray for the circuit and Jaap for the pcb layout. ;)

Brent

Here is a pic of cdp in bits with discrete pcb mounted , also pcb with 2x audiocom super regs and 4x black gate 16V 470uF caps to supply +/- 12v.

Brent

Attachments

• discrete pcb fitted.jpg
    discrete pcb fitted.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 412
rowemeister said:
Sorted. The display heater connection was arcing and causing the pick up on audio. Funny how the display still worked though LOL

Anyway, ive listened to a few tracks from a few cds.

It sounds nothing like it did on the 67, it sounds very warm yet natural with very good bass, every little detail is there in the music. The standard 67 sounded alot colder and thinner (but then it should really).

Can't wait to really test it over the weekend, thanks to Ray for the circuit and Jaap for the pcb layout. ;)

Brent

You're welcome mate, enjoy!