Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Use the PWM outputs?

ash_dac said:
Hi,

Would it be possible to feed the PWM outputs into a half-bridge amplifier MOSFET stage, and LPF ?

Then I wouldn't need an amp !

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/ece4435/f01/ClassD2.pdf

Or have I had too many beers!

Hi.

Since the balanced inpt power amp is essentially the same as a balanced input op-amp, the answer is a [ guarded ] YES !

How about incorporating a T-AMP or TDA1554 and psu inside the chassis?

Andy

Re: Re: Use the PWM outputs?

poynton said:

Hi.

Since the balanced inpt power amp is essentially the same as a balanced input op-amp, the answer is a [ guarded ] YES !

How about incorporating a T-AMP or TDA1554 and psu inside the chassis?

Andy

Hmm. Thanks Andy.

TDA1554 looks interesting, and is quite cheap. If I added sockets in the Marantz...might get one of them since I got paid today.

FAO RAY......

Ray as you know I have the OPA627 and OPA132 combo on browndogs.

I have not done any bypassing on them yet. And now is the time lol

I have the two Audiocom super regs directly on the op amps and 4 Black Gate FK 16V 470uF caps.

The noise should be pretty low, so do you still recommend I need bypassing on the opamp pcb?

I was looking at using BG FK 16V 33uf or 47uF caps or do you recommend a different value you have found works better.

Also something like a 220nF film resistor to decouple + and - 12V, is this also advantagous.

cheers

Brent

philpoole said:
Hi Brent,

How close are you going to put these caps to the opamps?
Can you get them on the browndogs?

Cheers,
Phil

I WILL get them on browndog. Should be able to solder them on top

I am going to try a 4x OPA627 setup first to compare and then bypass.

Should get op amps tomorrow from Farnell (I have a few spare browndogs just waiting for them)

Brent

philpoole said:
I now have all the bits for the discrete output stage - inspired by Ray (there are differences, for starters, his works, lol).

Really hoping to get it done soon, but never getting the chance to fire up the iron.

Ray, what kind of bypassing are you doing on your output stage?

Can't wait to see the results mate.

I also noticed you have the lovely Yamaha DSP-E800, I replaced all 6 op amps with OPA2134 and the seperation and sound from satalite was like dvd. Very impressive.

Brent

philpoole said:
That Yamaha is a cracking bit of kit isn't it?
Brent, we're getting off thread here, but what did you do to your 751s? Just the crossovers?

Cheers,
Phil

I used better quality caps and rewired from xover to drivers with same wire as speaker wire going to it.

Better treble detail. I also filled my mission stands with sand. Bit excessive for rears but hey why not lol.

Brent

rowemeister said:
FAO RAY......

The noise should be pretty low, so do you still recommend I need bypassing on the opamp pcb?

I was looking at using BG FK 16V 33uf or 47uF caps or do you recommend a different value you have found works better.

Also something like a 220nF film resistor to decouple + and - 12V, is this also advantagous.

cheers

Brent

Hi Brent,

I didn't use any decoupling directly on the BD pcb's yet :bigeyes:, but I've put a 220n PPS cap between pins 4 and 8 on the bottom of the player's PCB. I have replaced the original electrolytics with 220u/16V BG's. I'd say, give it a try and see how it sounds!

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

Hi Brent,

I didn't use any decoupling directly on the BD pcb's yet :bigeyes:, but I've put a 220n PPS cap between pins 4 and 8 on the bottom of the player's PCB. I have replaced the original electrolytics with 220u/16V BG's. I'd say, give it a try and see how it sounds!

Regards,

Ray.

Ray you disapoint me LOL

Ill drop in the 4x 627 to see what I prefer and then i'll try bypassing

Brent

philpoole said:
I now have all the bits for the discrete output stage - inspired by Ray (there are differences, for starters, his works, lol).

Really hoping to get it done soon, but never getting the chance to fire up the iron.

Ray, what kind of bypassing are you doing on your output stage?

Hi Phil!

Doesn't work?? How's that possible :bawling:? Did you screw it up :D?

For now, I use the on-board regulators for the discrete stage, which are LM317/337 BTW. Then the series inductors (220uH) and four Elna Silmics that I stole from the output caps. Sounds quite nice for a prototype :clown:.

In the definitive version I want to use Black Gates, and maybe a differential FET input stage. When my FET's arrive i'm going to start testing that.

My new CD57 arrived yesterday :D
Another virgin PCB waiting to be mounted....

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• cd57_empty_pcb.jpg
    cd57_empty_pcb.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 443