Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Luke said:

Hi Brent and philpoole,

it was a cd6000 and yes it was better, timing and bass were a lot better, but only did a short stint as I have a wee one sleeping. I think its a well worthwhile inprovement.
BTW I didnt try only clocking the reciever and letting it buffer the clock to the dacs.

cheers Arthur

Cool.

That will be sorted this week then :D

Hi Folks,

my cd63 is giving me some problems with my preamp project due to its dc at the outputs. I'm getting ~30mv/25mv .

What sort of figures are you getting in your output capless/hdam-less players?

More to the point, is there a way to trim dc offset apart from balancing 10k/27k resistors (not done yet)?

I notice Brent has only 2mv- lucky sod!:D

float said:
Hi Folks,

my cd63 is giving me some problems with my preamp project due to its dc at the outputs. I'm getting ~30mv/25mv .

More to the point, is there a way to trim dc offset apart from balancing 10k/27k resistors (not done yet)?

I had 22mv left channel and 24mv right channel. The star earthing has sorted it to 2mv on both channels.

float said:
Hi Folks,

This offset figure is not abnormal for this player. It's main cause is the difference between the DAC's output voltages.

I wouldn't recommend trimming it by changing the 10k and 27k resistors. They are part of the filter and should be as equal as possible! :yes:
If you trim them you will mess-up the DAC's output symmetry. Did you upgrade these resistors yet? Use 0,1% tolerance there if possible. That COULD lower the offset already a bit.

The best way to get rid of the output offset is trim it away at the second opamp. The 22k resistor (R609/610) at pin 5 is a nice place to do it. Replace it by a low-ohmic, low-tolerance resistor (say 100R) and tie pin 5 via a 200k or 500k trimmer to the positive or negative voltage rail, depending on the polarity of the offset you have. Most of the times it's negative, cuz the offset is positive. I managed to trim it away to a few mV. If you don't swap opamps all the time :)D) you can replace the trimmer by the nearest E96 value resistor.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

Did you upgrade these resistors yet? Use 0,1% tolerance there if possible. That COULD lower the offset already a bit.

The best way to get rid of the output offset is trim it away at the second opamp. The 22k resistor (R609/610) at pin 5 is a nice place to do it. Replace it by a low-ohmic, low-tolerance resistor (say 100R) and tie pin 5 via a 200k or 500k trimmer to the positive or negative voltage rail, depending on the polarity of the offset you have. Most of the times it's negative, cuz the offset is positive. I managed to trim it away to a few mV. If you don't swap opamps all the time :)D) you can replace the trimmer by the nearest E96 value resistor.

Regards,

Ray.

I've not upgraded those res. yet; I've got some 10k holcos that are just the job, but I'll have to match standard met film 27ks.

Ill look at trimming via R609/610, nice idea, thanks Ray.

Part two of my grounding is complete.
I have 13 gnds going to the star point.

This second stage has really opened up the sound with much better treble, symbols are very clear and the Bass is even deeper now.

Double bass on jazz is more apparent.

The two pics show the gnd point.

This was taken before the wires were tidied up :smash:

Attachments

• final star gndsmall.jpg
    final star gndsmall.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 583
I never thought I would be re-wiring the HDAM PSU again....

It is the discrete SACD Enhancer circuit as found on Ultranalog.com.
I used the HDAM layout to host the circuit :cool:. First I cleared off all the parts, except the current sink at the input. Then puzzled a bit to get all the parts right. This uses the same passive filter as I used for the tubestage. It's a much easier mod since it doesn't need +150V and heater voltage :D.

The sound is very good, but I have to do more listening and tweaking for a final judgement. I'm going to compare it with the tubestage in the next few weeks, see which will be the winner: solid state or tubes :judge:.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:
I never thought I would be re-wiring the HDAM PSU again....

It is the discrete SACD Enhancer circuit as found on Ultranalog.com.
I used the HDAM layout to host the circuit :cool:. First I cleared off all the parts, except the current sink at the input. Then puzzled a bit to get all the parts right. This uses the same passive filter as I used for the tubestage. It's a much easier mod since it doesn't need +150V and heater voltage :D.

The sound is very good, but I have to do more listening and tweaking for a final judgement. I'm going to compare it with the tubestage in the next few weeks, see which will be the winner: solid state or tubes :judge:.

Regards,

Ray.

Very nice work Ray;)

I look forward to the outcome.

So you think the solid state mod will be better than a good opamp setup ?