Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

Probably +5v for the DAC 'Analog' supply
You can feed it from the psu I'm sending you - plenty of capacity.

Sue them !

Andy

Cheers andy. I'm just trying to clarify things in my head at the moment, so im not stumped when all these fancy electronics arrive. lol

God i wish i had gone for that audiocom PSU, instead of the one i bought from you. As theirs is 6.25x more expensive, it must be at least 6.25x better than yours ;) ;) ;)
Maybe i should of even ordered a brand new one off their site for ~£150

:D

adfinni said:

Cheers andy. I'm just trying to clarify things in my head at the moment, so im not stumped when all these fancy electronics arrive. lol

God i wish i had gone for that audiocom PSU, instead of the one i bought from you. As theirs is 6.25x more expensive, it must be at least 6.25x better than yours ;) ;) ;)

LOL

PSU should be with you Thurs/Fri Signed for delivery

Andy

adfinni said:

That psu is a rip off.

Basicaly its a Q power reg with a £7 TX and 2 nice caps (aerovox and big black one).

But a qpower or super reg ,one of them TX from RS and a few nice caps. Sorted.

SO basically I may have a better psu to my clock with coils ,polyester caps ,BG FK smoothing caps , audiocom super reg and same TX.
And it cost alot less

Brent

rowemeister said:

That psu is a rip off.

Basicaly its a Q power reg with a £7 TX and 2 nice caps (aerovox and big black one).

SO basically I may have a better psu to my clock with coils ,polyester caps ,BG FK smoothing caps , audiocom super reg and same TX.
And it cost alot less

Brent

Perhaps you should start selling yours as 'X-power' or 'Sooper-dooper Reg'

poynton said:

LOL

PSU should be with you Thurs/Fri Signed for delivery

Andy

hehe. Great thanks andy.

rowemeister said:

That psu is a rip off.

And it cost alot less

Brent

Definately Superdooper-XXX-BOSH-REG. Then spray them in gold, and you can have a bling reg :D

adfinni said:
thanks guys

Those BG caps are much better value there than over at audiocom. £2.41 aint bad, but 4 would be a tenner, and id rather try the cheaper starget (elna) caps @ £1 a piece. I'm a scrounging student don't you know :drink: :drink: :drink:

I'm in contact with ray whose is advising me to use 100n XR7, and 100n PPS ceramic caps in parallel with some of the modified caps listed in the original pdf.

Ta

Hi ad!

Just a word of caution: don't use the Stargets around the digital circuits, I don't trust they are low-ESR. Use the (ultra-) low-impedance types instead.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

Hi ad!

Just a word of caution: don't use the Stargets around the digital circuits, I don't trust they are low-ESR. Use the (ultra-) low-impedance types instead.

Regards,

Ray.

Just looking at the stargets. They are oxygen free and designed for high performance and minimum distortion. There is no spec for ESR/impedance. The ripple @ 100Hz appears lower than most.

:xeye:

Brent

Hi Everyone

Great thread found it yesterday lots of good stuff. So just when I though is was safe to put the lid back on my CD63.
I have had my Cd63 since 93 done many mods to it from the TNT site and others.
Well I guess I am going to dive back into it and remove the HDAM. I was using the unit as a transport but I have sold my DAC I never went for the clock card because I was using a DAC but am thinking of doing it :D Check this link to this clock card and tell what you think http://www.hagtech.com/hagclock.html I am going to order some OPA627 and some Browndog PCB's I have the 2604's in there now can't wait to remove the HDAM to see what it dose It;s going to take a few weeks to do all this because I am trying to finish up the speakers I am building it going to be a few more weeks.

Thank Dave

rowemeister said:
Just looking at the stargets. They are oxygen free and designed for high performance and minimum distortion. There is no spec for ESR/impedance. The ripple @ 100Hz appears lower than most.

:xeye:

Brent

Hi Brent,

The OFC thing is nice, but it's one of those "HDAM marketing" things :D.
You don't really expect a few mm of OFC wire to make a difference when there's common copper tracks all over the PCB? And "minimum distortion" ? An electrolytic is a nasty thing anyway. Especially if you put signal through it :bigeyes:. Luckily we are using them for PSU decoupling only...

This Starget series (ROD) doesn't seem to appear on Elna's website. Did you manage to get the datasheet for these Stargets? Could you post it / send me a copy?

adfinni said:
Now im confused.
So is it ok to use the elnas at C611-614, and C651-654 ?
Il just go with what the mods .pdf says, much easier

Hi Adam,

Don't worry, your player will sound good if you put the Stargets in, they are much better compared to the standard ones that are in there. You can use them for C611...614. For C651...654 you don't need replacements, it is better to bypass the HDAM circuit. Cheap mod eh? But around the digital circuits I would recommend a cap with a known low ESR.

Regards,

Ray.

Cheers

Im looking at getting some rubycon caps to use instead of the stargets, as i have been reading good things about them, plus they are cheaper than the stargets.
I'm trying to compile my list of caps to order tonight, but its effort trying to remember all the ones to order. Il get there eventually, but might even change to the FC's to use around the mains supply and tranny. Soo many choices, soo little time.

Il get pics up when im done.

With regard to C651-654, would they be useless when i bypass the HDAM, so there would be no need to spend money on upgrading them?

ad

adfinni said:
Cheers

Im looking at getting some rubycon caps to use instead of the stargets, as i have been reading good things about them, plus they are cheaper than the stargets.
I'm trying to compile my list of caps to order tonight, but its effort trying to remember all the ones to order. Il get there eventually, but might even change to the FC's to use around the mains supply and tranny. Soo many choices, soo little time.

Il get pics up when im done.

With regard to C651-654, would they be useless when i bypass the HDAM, so there would be no need to spend money on upgrading them?

ad

Hi Ad,

Yes, you're right, those parts lists can get pretty long...
That's the main reason I made my mods lists, to keep track of things :D
Rubycons are very nice, especially the ZA/ZL(H) series. They have very low impedance. Where are you going to order your stuff, RS?

Indeed, C651...654 are no longer used when HDAM is bypassed. No need spending $$$ on them ;)

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• cd63_hdam_bypass.jpg
    cd63_hdam_bypass.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 568
Gooch said:
Hi Everyone

Great thread found it yesterday lots of good stuff. So just when I though is was safe to put the lid back on my CD63.
I have had my Cd63 since 93 done many mods to it from the TNT site and others.
Well I guess I am going to dive back into it and remove the HDAM. I was using the unit as a transport but I have sold my DAC I never went for the clock card because I was using a DAC but am thinking of doing it :D Check this link to this clock card and tell what you think http://www.hagtech.com/hagclock.html I am going to order some OPA627 and some Browndog PCB's I have the 2604's in there now can't wait to remove the HDAM to see what it dose It;s going to take a few weeks to do all this because I am trying to finish up the speakers I am building it going to be a few more weeks.

Thank Dave

The clock looks good quality but check this out too it may work out cheaper

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Audiocom

Brent

6h5c said:

Hi Ad,

Yes, you're right, those parts lists can get pretty long...
That's the main reason I made my mods lists, to keep track of things :D
Rubycons are very nice, especially the ZA/ZL(H) series. They have very low impedance. Where are you going to order your stuff, RS?

Indeed, C651...654 are no longer used when HDAM is bypassed. No need spending $$$ on them ;)

Regards,

Ray.

i see you've gone passive?

allan

ps the chokes with beads do work very well