Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

philpoole said:

Good question. I thought it made good sense to do, so thought it was worth a punt. It definitely doesn't degrade anything. I used to have some problems accessing CDRs, I admit I'll have to try that again. I did the mod maybe a couple of months ago and have only really listened to originals.

I still have problems with the back panel, but its not a complete nightmare. It is tolerable (ish). Its definitely not as easy as removing it.

I'll see if I can get some photos at some point. Its an old penny, I don't know when they went out of circulation (I guess when decimalisation occured, bit before my time)
Off the top of my head (if I'd known this would of caused interest, I would have measured it) its about 30-35 mm diameter and must be a millimetre or so thick. It is heavy. I'll weigh one at some point. It is wider than a £2 coin (probably not much help for allan ther) and probably the same weight (it is thinner).

I have a tin of old coins and was thinking of a weight to use. I was thinking of an old foreign coin with a hole in the middle (lots of scandinavian and spanish coins are/were like that, amongst others) then I spotted a british coin that was older than the lot. Nostalgia took precedence in that decision. I think anything like a £2 coin would be similar.

Anyway, steered the thread through other hifi and now coin collection. I'm bad for off thread stuff. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

I need to show some photos at some point of the work done....

Do a search for cd-pro2 transport. I'll see if i can find it again.

there is an upgrade to this transport but there is a weight limit
as there will be for the cdm12.

allan

awpagan said:

U208 dac earth
U169 decoder
U268 5v
U235 psu
U221 audio
U136 headphone

U225, U227 earth links psu to audio

I should have taken notes, can go over it again.

I removed all links to top plane run separate earths including grd plane from U235 and U208.

allan

Just looked

U260 - Near DAC but not connected
U201 - Audio out / op amps / HDAM
U274 - 5V reg gnd
U203 - DAC
U275 - Head phones
U137 - Decoder / HF / RF / Servo

on cd63

Did you get any improvements running seperate gnds?

200g max clamping weight...
I was a bit worried if the mod would be okay, but it seems fine. I've had no problems for a couple of months.

I know its not a CDPro2 (that will hopefully be a future project :D), but I'm certain my weight won't be that much.

That's 0.2Kg. Its quite a lot. Although, I'm not sure how much the unmodded clamp weighs.

I was just doing it as it made sense. Now, might investigate to see if it makes any difference (even if just a little quieter)!

The 1 euro is bigger than the £1, but smaller than the £2. Always entertained by the portrayal of scandinavia on the euro, what with Norway not being a member. Sorry, just my childish humour.lol.

philpoole said:

Is it easy to swap transports around? I assumed there would be levels of incompatibility between them. I have a CDM4 somewhere which reads CDRs well. Not sure I'm too bothered, more a hypothetical question.

I have changed millions err lots of CDM12 and can do it in under 2mins lol.

The VAM1201 is running in a 63KI right now, its the replacement for the cdm12

My laser is new and will only put in the VAM if it is better sonically. I dont listen to music on a CD-RW.... whats the point CD-R are so cheap nowadays!!!

PS I used hot glue on my disc clamp, it runs level so the clamp should spin true.

I have a £5 coin, maybe i should use that somewhere in the player. At least it will increase its value ;)

I'm about to buy a number of the replacement caps listed in rays pdf at teh start of the thread, but i was wondering what caps i should put between the opamps (C611-614)?
I saw that row ordered some 25V/470uF BG caps, but i can't afford those, so should i use either 16V470uF Panasonic FC's, or an RS audiograde Series Starget:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/subRangeAction.do?cacheID=uknetscape

rowemeister said:

adfinni

I placed the +/- 12V regs next to the op amps. Closer the better , less likely to pick up any noise and current drop would also be less (its only tiny but its there).

Also since doing this I downloaded the CD17 KI manual and they put the 2 12v regs right next to the HDAM and on the CD 6000 they are between Hdam and opamps.

So I must be doing something right :D

Regarding the 5V super reg.... buy another one for £16 off ebay and mount them on a custom pcb and use one for the digital 5v to the DAC and Decoder. Then use the otherone for the analogue 5v on the same ic's. Make sure you have some better than standard caps near the dac/decoder.

Also if you can run these two regs from a small custom TX it will be even better. If HDAM and muting is removed and you fit 12v regs next to opamps you can take the +20v from C803 for the 5v regs.

Also run the clock off a +12V super reg

All this will give you a very good improvement.

Hope I have not confused you

;)

I guess that the 12V regs will just slip into the pcb when i remove the old ones ?

Unfortunately, audiocom have no more super-regs on ebay, and im not paying £30 for a q-power on there, or £45 for the new sup-reg 2, as id rather put that money into upgrading the caps across the board, and towards getting an IEC socket sorted.

So where should i put the single 5V reg that i get? I was going to do the HDAM bypass after i get the op-amps sorted during easter, but could i do it now when i fit all the caps, clock, and 3x regs? If i took power from C803 how would i connect it up to the reg?

Actually, itl be better if i ask for fitting advice when i open up the player and get the parts+ some instructions in.

Thanks row, im still a bit confused :xeye:

thanks

adfinni said:
I have a £5 coin, maybe i should use that somewhere in the player. At least it will increase its value ;)

I'm about to buy a number of the replacement caps listed in rays pdf at teh start of the thread, but i was wondering what caps i should put between the opamps (C611-614)?
I saw that row ordered some 25V/470uF BG caps, but i can't afford those, so should i use either 16V470uF Panasonic FC's, or an RS audiograde Series Starget:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/subRangeAction.do?cacheID=uknetscape

I guess that the 12V regs will just slip into the pcb when i remove the old ones ?

Unfortunately, audiocom have no more super-regs on ebay, and im not paying £30 for a q-power on there, or £45 for the new sup-reg 2, as id rather put that money into upgrading the caps across the board, and towards getting an IEC socket sorted.

So where should i put the single 5V reg that i get? I was going to do the HDAM bypass after i get the op-amps sorted during easter, but could i do it now when i fit all the caps, clock, and 3x regs? If i took power from C803 how would i connect it up to the reg?

Actually, itl be better if i ask for fitting advice when i open up the player and get the parts+ some instructions in.

Thanks row, im still a bit confused :xeye:

thanks

The 16V 470uF BG caps are only £2.41 + VAT and p&p

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/black_gate_caps.html

The Starget are actually Elna and are nice caps.

You will be better putting 12v regs right next to op amps, trust me ;)

adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. Admittedly, I haven't done anything with regulating the 12V rails yet, especially moving the regs closer, and I will do that with 7x12s first.
I admit it is a big expense at first, so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

The standard 7805 is about 20p. Ideal for experimenting.

Modding to better regs after should be trivial (although I am assuming the pinout is the same).

I've got some Stargets in my 63. Lovely! In fact, I've never used black gates. It is something I want to get round to doing at some point. But the Elna's sound cracking as they are.

philpoole said:
adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. Admittedly, I haven't done anything with regulating the 12V rails yet, especially moving the regs closer, and I will do that with 7x12s first.
I admit it is a big expense at first, so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

Modding to better regs after should be trivial (although I am assuming the pinout is the same).

I've got some Stargets in my 63. Lovely! In fact, I've never used black gates. It is something I want to get round to doing at some point. But the Elna's sound cracking as they are.

I have modded many cd63 with 7805 running different rails. The out come is amazing.

The 7805 can be replaced by audiocom super regs. These are a direct replacement too

Brent

philpoole said:
adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. ................ so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

As has been said before elsewhere in this thread, the BIG problem with the '63 [and probably most other 'budget' cd players] is they were designed by accountants! Why use a 'proper' power supply when one 5v reg. will work.

Separating the 5v lines works wonders - even with 'off-the-shelf' regulators !

Andy

PS you beat me to it, again, Rowe. Must learn to type faster !

thanks guys

Those BG caps are much better value there than over at audiocom. £2.41 aint bad, but 4 would be a tenner, and id rather try the cheaper starget (elna) caps @ £1 a piece. I'm a scrounging student don't you know :drink: :drink: :drink:

I'm in contact with ray whose is advising me to use 100n XR7, and 100n PPS ceramic caps in parallel with some of the modified caps listed in the original pdf.

Il wait and see if more of the super-regs come up on ebay, but for now, where is the best place to put the one 5V super-reg i have

Ta