Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:

Thank you very much for sharing this fantastic list of modifications. :nod:

I too have a CD63ki and I have used an Audiocom clock with a dedicated external supply, I installed new op-amps (OPA627bp), and have changed or removed dozens of other components (eg. removed muting transistors and dc blocking caps). The sound is very good.

I have yet to play with the regulators, but this is something I'll look at soon. Also, I have not touched the HDAM, yet.

From your PDF:
"the HDAM-circuit looks nice, but when moving up to better opamps and interconnects this circuit starts to
interfere and degrades sound quality. To disable HDAM: remove R651...654 (+/- 12V), R617/618 and
RH23/24. Insert wire jumper at R619/620."

I have good op-amps and interconnects etc., so it is time to try this mod. Without having the service manual in front of me, I cannot picture how your changes bypass the HDAM - does the wire jumper from R619/20 bypass the whole circuit, if so where does it connect, at the phono sockets?

I second Brent's question about how it affects sound quality.

Thanks and regards

I have the .pdf of the service manual for the CD43_53_63 on hand if anybody wants it.

BTW, everybody raves about the OPA627s even thought the AD8610s look better on paper. Has anybody compared the two back to back? -I'm using the AD8620 (dual 8610) from Brown Dog in my Rotel RCD 02 and I'm quite happy with them.

mattgwood(at)yahoo(d0t)ca

Ouch

rowemeister said:
OK they were cheap anyway lol

Would you not recommend something better than the OPA132, it is very cheap to buy and dont mind spending more.

I will be using OPA627 for ic1

rowemeister said:
My brain hurts lol

I can imagine why. My brain would also hurt if I had spent so much $$$ on that Audiocom stuff. You could have had a decent new player by now.

Why is the OPA132 not good enough, is it because it's not expensive enough?? Have you ever considered listening to it first? :confused:

Ray.

Re: Ouch

6h5c said:
I can imagine why. My brain would also hurt if I had spent so much $$$ on that Audiocom stuff. You could have had a decent new player by now.

Why is the OPA132 not good enough, is it because it's not expensive enough?? Have you ever considered listening to it first? :confused:

The Audiocom stuff might be great - have you tried it?

He is using 2134, so yes, it has been done.

I have used 2132 for a while and assessed it over many months. Then I moved to 627bp, and it is another league entirely. If you cannot hear this clearly you may need to upgrade speakers, amps, cabling, room, supports, mains etc.

edit: I misread OPA132 as OPA2132, so I'll go back to sleep now :-/

For sure, several combinations should be tried, unless they're insanely expensive.

Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

ozone_stink said:

BTW, everybody raves about the OPA627s even thought the AD8610s look better on paper. Has anybody compared the two back to back? -I'm using the AD8620 (dual 8610) from Brown Dog in my Rotel RCD 02 and I'm quite happy with them.

Hi Matt,

I agree. I think it's because the OPA627 has an 'audiophile' status of some kind. I compared it with AD8610, OPA124, OPA227.... see list.
And the winner was not the OPA627. It sounds not as clear and detailed as others.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c..

I was only enquiring if there was better for more money incase you thought I did'nt want to spend much :cool:

The super regs you see on my picture were only £16 each off ebay and they were the perfect size to fit between the big caps.

My brain hurts knowing which op amps to settle on. I know all of them are going to be good, and the Browndog pcb with 627 on will be better than my opa2134.

Anyway I have bought some opa132. You seem to like them so ill give it a go ;)

Thanks

rowemeister said:
6h5c..

I was only enquiring if there was better for more money incase you thought I did'nt want to spend much :cool:

The super regs you see on my picture were only £16 each off ebay and they were the perfect size to fit between the big caps.

My brain hurts knowing which op amps to settle on. I know all of them are going to be good, and the Browndog pcb with 627 on will be better than my opa2134.

Anyway I have bought some opa132. You seem to like them so ill give it a go ;)

Thanks

Hi rowemeister,

No offense meant. Should have posted an extra ;)
But i'm a bit sceptic towards Audiocom stuff.

Regards,

Ray.

On a different note, has anyone tried removing the transformer and housing it in a separate box, for purposes of isolation?

My clock psu is external, so I thought I could combine them in one box and have no transformers in the player, just a DIN connector or molex style or similar.

6h5c, if you don't mind me asking, what would your preferred voltage regulator setup be?

thanks

Re: Re: Ouch

SimontY said:

He is using 2134, so yes, it has been done.

I have used 2132 for a while and assessed it over many months. Then I moved to 627bp, and it is another league entirely. If you cannot hear this clearly you may need to upgrade speakers, amps, cabling, room, supports, mains etc.

For sure, several combinations should be tried, unless they're insanely expensive.

Hi Simon,

I was referring to an OPA132 in the filter part, that works o.k. I find it comes short after the DAC. An OPA627 will indeed do better there.
Finding the right combination for DAC and filter takes a lot of listening and experimenting.

Ray.

Re: Re: Re: Ouch

6h5c said:

I was referring to an OPA132 in the filter part, that works o.k. I find it comes short after the DAC. An OPA627 will indeed do better there.

Ok, thanks. I am reluctant to take apart my 627 boards, but for greater knowledge I will need to hear more combinations, and I am willing to believe it could be even better (than 2 x 627bp). But when I put these in I was so impressed compared to the previous dual op-amps I tried: JRC2114, OPA2604, OPA2132 - all of these sound very flawed in one way or another by comparison. But I have not tried 627 in combination with something else. I will need to get more adapters and try this in the future :xeye:

Well I would like to mod my cd53 but I have never moded a player electricly before. I do know how to use a soldering iron though. I know I could go through and do every mod listed but I think for my first try I want to go small. If you had to decide on the three mods that make the largest improvement what would they be? I have a feeling that changing the opamps is going to be in the list but I am not sure.

DJNUBZ said:
Well I would like to mod my cd53 but I have never moded a player electricly before. I do know how to use a soldering iron though. I know I could go through and do every mod listed but I think for my first try I want to go small. If you had to decide on the three mods that make the largest improvement what would they be? I have a feeling that changing the opamps is going to be in the list but I am not sure.

Hello!

1 - remove dc blocking caps and short the spaces with a piece of wire

2 - add an after market clock

3 - power the clock with dedicated power

4 - change the op-amps

Damn, four!! But that's the four that are needed IMO, other than the obvious mechanical changes!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ouch

SimontY said:

Ok, thanks. I am reluctant to take apart my 627 boards, but for greater knowledge I will need to hear more combinations, and I am willing to believe it could be even better (than 2 x 627bp). But when I put these in I was so impressed compared to the previous dual op-amps I tried: JRC2114, OPA2604, OPA2132 - all of these sound very flawed in one way or another by comparison. But I have not tried 627 in combination with something else. I will need to get more adapters and try this in the future :xeye:

Hi,

I use mainly single opamps, with the SMD's mounted on some extra DIL adapters. I compared a lot of combinations with a single to dual DIL adapter. There lot's of good opamps only available in SO-8 these days.

Ray.

Attachments

• opamp_adapters_dil.jpg
    opamp_adapters_dil.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 3,103
DJNUBZ said:

SimontY said:

Hello!

1 - remove dc blocking caps and short the spaces with a piece of wire

2 - add an after market clock

3 - power the clock with dedicated power

4 - change the op-amps

Damn, four!! But that's the four that are needed IMO, other than the obvious mechanical changes!

Don't forget to remove the muting transistors!

Ray.

Both the CD63 and CD6000 families are let down by the single tracking layer plus ground plane aproach. Most of the chips and decoupling have very indirect 0V connections. A few well placed chip ceramics might have far more effect than all of these audiophile exotica being suggested.

I have a CD63SE (died from the servo chip warm up problem) and a Marantz 6000 OSE (with servo chip warm up problem), the latter actually looks like a cost down with the extra DAC and HDAMs thrown in for marketing excitement.

Looking at the supplies around the smd chips, even their 0V connections are noisy and the +5V is worse. The master clock is obviously jittery and the 470R series termination resistors in the clock outputs to the DACs and servo is too large, turning the secondary clocks into 3V pk-pk triangle waves. A suitable ferrite bead could give a much cleaner clock.

Re: adapters

6h5c said:

Hi,

I use mainly single opamps, with the SMD's mounted on some extra DIL adapters. I compared a lot of combinations with a single to dual DIL adapter. There lot's of good opamps only available in SO-8 these days.

Ray.

Interesting. The pic, which is good, makes me wonder about all the extra trace and pin path for the signal. Does this not make it of paramount importance to place psu caps on each op-amp?

cheers