Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The 67 is a lovely sounding player. It is marginally less moddable than the 63. Brent has previously indicated that the ultimate potential of a CD63 is higher due to separate DAC and decoder if you are willing to take it all the way. However, stock for stock, and most likely a fair way down the modding path, I personally suspect the 67 is superior.

Hi Guys,
I measured dc ofset on the last modded 63SE and found it to be 33mv.I have bypassed hdam's and from U210/U214 i go on the rca's output with only a 10 Ohm resistor in series with a wire.I have also disconnect the rca's positive legs from pcb and only ground leg is connected.Shall i put a capacitor in series too, to lower the offset?My amps are mostly valve ones and i have no problem when i look at speakers cones,but i am afraid to connect it on a transistor amp that i have in hand.I do have in hand some old sideral mkp caps 2.2uf and some icel and arcotronics 4.7uf.What shall i do?
Thanasis.

Hey Guys,
I just did some measurements(the player performs exellent 63se),just for the sake of it,and on Q811(7805) face it from front of player,left leg has 22.05 volt and right leg has 11.89 volt.I assume this is not normal but the player is playing flowlesly after modded with big psu capacitors for 2 weeks...which can be the problem?Shall i leave it as is or is going to blow in my face?There are no any fuses...they are shorted.
Thanasis.

Probably found the problem...i had the player play non stop for 2 weeks for caps burn in and the 7805 probably overheated.I close the player for 10 minutes and measure again...11.92 left leg and 5.09 right leg.I am waiting for a 50va 2x12 volt tx for the servo.Shall i remove the 7805 completely and put in it's place this:1.5 to 29V DC Adjustable Voltage Regulator Module Board, Based on LM317 | eBay connect wires from where the 7805 was and on dc input of the module..am i correct?or forget the module and just put a 7812 in place of the 7805?Otherwise do i have to disconnect any jumpers or resistors apart from the secondaties of the original tx?Any help here will be apreciated.
Thank you.
Thanasis.

My friend has asked me to construct a transformer Unit for him so that he can use it to change the stock Tx. on his CD63. Here is the TX unit after I spent some time to complete the job yesterday :) ;).

Attachments

• P1010955.jpg
    P1010955.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 253
  • P1010956.jpg
    P1010956.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 252
  • P1010957.jpg
    P1010957.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 248
Many thanks higlander....superb!!!!!
The only thing i'm confuse..is why U305 continues upwards.Stupid of me!!
Regards,
Thanasis.

The reason is to put the connections in the correct order (from U305 to U312) so that when my friend connect them to the PCB the cables will not cross :);) If you see the under side of the TX unit the connections are also in order from U305 to U312.

Last edited:
The reason is to put the connections in the correct order (from U305 to U312) so that when my friend connect them to the PCB the cables will not cross :);) If you see the under side of the TX unit the connections are also in order from U305 to U312.
May i ask 1 more question higlander?New tx's... 3 separate ones for the 63 arrived.I just wonder since the the 50va 2x12v will rase the voltage to probably 17v...what shall i do with the Q811 7805 regulator?Shall i leave it in place or change it with something else?
Thank you,
Thanasis.

May i ask 1 more question higlander?New tx's... 3 separate ones for the 63 arrived.I just wonder since the the 50va 2x12v will rase the voltage to probably 17v...what shall i do with the Q811 7805 regulator?Shall i leave it in place or change it with something else?
Thank you,
Thanasis.

There is no need to change anything, but you may take the opportunity to change the diodes to Schottky diodes.

Last edited:
A DC blocking cap should do the trick as you say. Either 2.2uF or 4.7uF should be fine.

I've just measured the DC offset – measured it with the player 'on' but not playing a cd. Both channels measure the same at 0.30V. Am I right in thinking this is 30mv?

Also, have I measured it correctly by not playing a cd?

For the record, I have bypassed HDAMs and have opamps in place. I am almost finished my DOS board. Should I wait and measure again with DOS in place before fitting DC blocking caps?

Apologies in advance for my 'newbie' questions.
:confused:

Hi,

0.3V would be 300mV, and that's a bit high. I doubt the measurement is correct, because I've never seen such high offset (unless there's something wrong).

It's better to measure directly at the opamps' output, because the muting transistors will clamp the voltage to ground (if still in there). It's fine if the player is in STOP mode this way.

The outputs are at pin 7, or U210 and U214 for CD63, U216 and U217 for CD67.