Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

higlander, after you disabled the HDAM and changed the op-amps, did you not find your player bass-light? You use Burson, right?

I found LM4562HA and no HDAM lacking in bass without a beefier PSU if I remember correctly. Another thing I tried that adversely affected the tonal balance was tagging small WIMA 100n caps across my Black Gates. I'm still on my first player though so perhaps I had a fault somewhere from time to time.

Anyway, everyone's tastes and systems are different I suppose. My point was I think order matters and it may get worse before it gets better. "It'll be alright in the end. If it isn't alright, it's not the end."

Lots of people must've started with a clock, so maybe that's OK.

Hi Ben: After changing the opamps I remembered that the bass is almost the same however the HF has extended. I can hear more details with the Burson and with HDAM removed. When I changed the PSUs the bass became much more extended and tight - very noticeable. When I used a voltmeter to measure the servo voltage, with the stock TX the voltage would drop by a few volts when I started to run a CD. However with a bigger PSU for the servo the voltage was very stable and there was less than 0.5V transient voltage dip.

I also have tried LM4562HA and the SQ is not far off from Burson. Overall the SQ from Burson is more smooth but the LF and HF are similar to LM4562HA.

I haven't try 100n across 470uF caps for HF filtering so I have no experience but I have changed all 0.047uF and some 0.022uF caps by WIMAs.

Changing the 2 clocks will make the SQ more clear and transparent but I don't observe big changes in bass (but HF is more clear).

As I said before I started the mod by changing the caps before changing the clocks so that I can remove the caps more easily without causing damages to the external clocks.

Last edited:
3rd modding project completed

I have completed my 3rd modding project which my good friend had requested me to carry out for him after listening to my modded CD63KI.
Actually a few of my friends have also asked me to do the same but I have refused all of them as I don't have the time to carry out the work at the moment :(
This will be the last modding project for the time being and I will carry out new project again may be after 3 months time.

Attachments

• NewMod1.jpg
    NewMod1.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 244
  • NewMod2.jpg
    NewMod2.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 233
I have just set up a 50 V tx (in a separate case) feeding 2 daughter boards, each carrying diodes, a big cap, 12 v power regulator and a further big cap. I will use this to power the servo.

I have been collaborating with my electrical guru on this, and he has worked out where to wire the 4 connectors down to the main pcb by examining the circuit diagram for the CD 63SE. However, my player is the KIS. I have physically checked the circuit diagram to my player's pcb, and as far as I can see, the circuit boards for the SE and KIS are the same in and around the servo area. I thought I would check first on here that the 2 are the same before making the connections.

Could someone please let me know? Thank you in advance.

Hi there !

Just got a CD57 mkii.
It needs to be cleaned and greased on moving part since it skips a bit every now and then.
Then I'll start modding it, but it's my first time doing this so i'll go slowly.
1st thing I'll do : removing headphone out and muting part for a start.
then, get back to reading this incredible thread.
Thanks already to everyone who participated to this thread.

UV101, new laser was the first idea I had. Then I've read that page Laserology and thought I should try and clean it. I've even read a post from high fidelity http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/54009-marantz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-23.html#post815259 ('cause yes, i've really started to read that whole thread :p ).
If it's not enough, can I order a new laser from any chinese seller on the bay or ali ex press ?

I noticed that presently almost all of the laser for CD63 are made in China and are of the same brand irrespective where you buy them. The problem is that the product has unstable quality control and you have to rely on your luck to get a trouble free one :(

They are no more genuine than I am the pope!!!! ;)

Ok so they could be genuine but they have come from the same factory as all the others on eBay. I brought genuine 3 genuine Philips mechs from America about 10 years ago and they were all perfect. I got another 3 a couple of years ago and they were all problematic. Don't think that any Philips sticker means they will be better than then other ones. I just expect to need to tweek everyone that I use ;)

I think the hope of anything genuine from Philips dies years and years ago!

They are no more genuine than I am the pope!!!! ;)

Ok so they could be genuine but they have come from the same factory as all the others on eBay. I brought genuine 3 genuine Philips mechs from America about 10 years ago and they were all perfect. I got another 3 a couple of years ago and they were all problematic. Don't think that any Philips sticker means they will be better than then other ones. I just expect to need to tweek everyone that I use ;)

I think the hope of anything genuine from Philips dies years and years ago!
Yes, you are right. Nowadays all the CD63 lasers are manufactured from China. Not long ago I have to change 3 brand new lasers to get one working. You may note that the magnetic clamping cone of the latest laser does not fit into the holding cap due to different size. I need to pull out the original one from the damaged laser and fit it onto the new laser to ensure proper clamping of the CD.

The clamping cone should look something similar to this:
Original Philips CDM-12.4 CDM12.4CD VAM1204 Laser Lens 747706001800 | eBay (CDM 12.4 cannot be used in CD63 but you can pull the clamping cone out for use if you don't have the original one)

Last edited: