Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

@Lymmlad: You're very welcome - sorry it's only partial info - I hope it helps.

@Badrisuper: Don't worry, this has happened to me a bunch of times. I bet you've just lifted a pad on one of the caps you changed. Get your DMM in continuity check mode and test the tracks across those joints, particularly around the decoder chip.

If you find a lifted pad, you can usually just scratch a bit of the solder screen away from the broken track with a sharp point, exposing the copper, and re-solder it. Check everything conducts properly before putting the board in, and try not to flex it too much.

If you went from it spinning very fast in different directions to not at all, then my money is still on a hairline fracture somewhere. I'm only speaking from experience with my own player. Don't give up - it took me about 2 days to track my last one down. I was gearing up to find a replacement player when I finally got it. It may not be near anything you've touched either.

I have followed the discussion in this forum and made some mods to my CD63 with success. Thansk to all the good advices given here.
Now I have ordered 3 TX as suggested by Brent, i.e. 50VA 2X12V, 15VA 2X18V and 5VA 2X12V. But I am confussed by the way how they should be connect.
I believe for the 2X12V 5VA Tx, the first secondary is connected to U312 and U311 (0 V) while the other secondat is connected to U306 and U309 (0 V) (Brent has mentioned this somewhere in the forum).
Cound Brent or someone is kind enough to show me how the outputs of the other 2 TX be connected to the PCB by indicating which Uxxx I should connect to the secondaries? I don't want to burn out the circuits.

Hi Brent / Ben,
Further to my previous thread I believe for the 2X12V 5VA Tx, the first secondary is connected to U312 and U311 (0 V) while the other secondary is connected to U305 and U309 (0 V).

Please correct me if I am wrong on the following connections:
U305 - 12V in from 5VA Tx
U306 - 18V in from 15VA Tx
U307 - 18V in from 15VA Tx
U308 - 12V in from 50VA Tx
U309 - Ground for the 3 Tx
U310 - 12V in from 50VA Tx
U311 - 12V in from 5VA TX
U312 - 12V in after passing through the 16.4ohm resistor.

In the secondaries it has two groups of connections like this

:----- 12V
:
:----- 0V

:----- 12V
:
:----- 0V

Shall I connect the two wires with 0V together and connect it to ground ?

Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited:
Hi higlander. I'm probably the last person you want to ask, but I think you're right with all of the connections above (you might want to wait for a second opinion though). You've got 18VAC for the output transformer? That will give you 30VDC... isn't that a bit much? Check the ratings on the caps in your output section. I followed Brent's guide for mine and used a 30VA 2x15VAC, which will give 25VDC.

Hi higlander. I'm probably the last person you want to ask, but I think you're right with all of the connections above (you might want to wait for a second opinion though). You've got 18VAC for the output transformer? That will give you 30VDC... isn't that a bit much? Check the ratings on the caps in your output section. I followed Brent's guide for mine and used a 30VA 2x15VAC, which will give 25VDC.
Thanks Ben,
I recalled that it was Brent who recommend using 18VX2 for the output section. The filtering caps after the rectifiers are 35V rating so they should be OK. After that it goes to the regulators providing + and - 12V steady o/p to the opamps etc.

How about the Tx secondary connections ?

:-------- 12V (wire 1)
:
:
:--------- 0V (wire 2)

:---------- 12V (wire 3)
:
:
:---------- 0V (wire 4)

Shall I connect together wire 2 to wire 4 OR wire 2 to wire 3 for ground connection? Does that matter ?
Thanks

Last edited:
I think Brent was running 15v regs and a DOS. The 18v tx will work but the regs will work harder and get hotter!

With respect to the transformer secondaries, connect the transformers up with out the secondary windings connected to the player. Configure the windings and check the voltages with a meter. If the windings start to get warm and the voltages are not as expected, then it's wrong. It depends on the transformer make and how it's wound but I'd start with 2&3 together ;)

Use Brent's diagrams to make sure you have it connected correctly and check with the service manual :)