Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I'd use the those 220uf 6.3v on dac analogue and then poss on the digital with some oscon polymer across them. How many do you have?

Can you please pinpoint in which position in DAC? I have 4.

I have Elna cerafine 220uf, Elna ROS 220uf and Elna Silmic II 220uf and BG F 220uf but 50V. Among these which I can use for opamp section and DAC section?

Thanks
Badri

I've done a lot of Black Gate rolling in my player. Actually all but 3 of the electrolytic caps in there are Black Gates of various types.

I've got some F series 100uF 50v but I'm afraid I've never enjoyed the sound any time I've tried to use them and I've always ended ripping them out again after a short time. I'm afraid they're not a patch on the FK as far as my ears are concerned.

I use 6.3v 470uF NX on all my 5v digital supplies and like those there a lot. I have FK on all analogue except op-amp 12v, where I've tried rolling a few different BGs and I'm now settled on the 16v 470uF N series.

Been amassing parts. Now have 5 9v transformer, loads of caps and regulators etc... Surgery will commence soon... :)

One question, how do you go about putting two regulators on the decoder chip. Is it just a case of making sure that the analog and digital pins get voltages that are closely matched?

Paul

Yes, but they are not too critical at all . Once running say 0.2V difference will be fine.

What is often more sensitive is keeping multiple supply rails to start-up at a similar rate - so use similar caps on each reg.

if you are worried, use a pair of diodes in anti-parallel connected between your two new supplies. These will ensure that neither rail can ever be more than about 0.6v away from the other, but once both regs are running the diodes entirely drop-out of the circuit and have no effect on regulation.

This trick works anywhere else that might be sensitive, esp. for multiple regs on the NPC dac (and some others which can behave oddly if the various rails start-up at different rates, like Crystal Semi CS4390 and later...)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, but they are not too critical at all . Once running say 0.2V difference will be fine.

What is often more sensitive is keeping multiple supply rails to start-up at a similar rate - so use similar caps on each reg.

if you are worried, use a pair of diodes in anti-parallel connected between your two new supplies. These will ensure that neither rail can ever be more than about 0.6v away from the other, but once both regs are running the diodes entirely drop-out of the circuit and have no effect on regulation.

This trick works anywhere else that might be sensitive, esp. for multiple regs on the NPC dac (and some others which can behave oddly if the various rails start-up at different rates, like Crystal Semi CS4390 and later...)

Super cool tip... thank you Clark :):):)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well I never had any issues with my multireg'd 53 but I believe this is really a good solution if someone gets into this kind of trouble.

Also as we are using the diodes after the regs... noise should be minimal there.

I even use a zener to "level" startup voltages in my shunts and after the voltages rise enough the diode "shuts down" and there is no interference.

Yes, it's only really a fix if you need it. I don't much like the idea of cross-connecting regulated supplies either.

Adding a small resistor in series with such a diode pair would likely do all that is needed; say 2R2 - 4R7. Example using default regs like the LM317 at low output currents (the worst case): since the output impedance is 0.05ohms or less across the audio band, with 4R7 connected to another supply crosstalk is inherently limited to -40dB max, or 1/100th the change on the other supply, because between the dac supply pins is then a C-R-C filter formed by the local decoupling caps. So any effect is likely well into the noise floor of the actual audio output.

Thinking out-loud though, using even more series R improves this, but the limit will be the voltage drop appearing across it if needed to limit that start-up differential voltage. 10 or even 22ohms here is probably workable for typical CMOS dacs though, thanks to the low current demand. I must add I've not tested these values, but it looks right on paper.

(None of this is necessarily relevant to the CD63/67, just a general thought. I never had a problem with separating-out regs to the 63's dac or decoder supplies - at all.)

Last edited: