Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Sorry, was a bit pissed that its happened to me several times lately when I've written a longish post!!!

As Simon said, the 0's become the centre tap and the others will be AC above and below that gnd.

This should help
regulated-dual-power-supply-circuit.jpg

For the Servo section as stated go big VA! So in that pic you want from left to right

100va 2x15vac (no fuse), Hexfred diodes, 2 x 22,000uF (C1&C2), +/- 12v Spowers regs, Rubycon ZLG 470uF (C5&C6). I wouldnt bother with the bypass caps.

Ben you know you're ready for the SPower!!! lol

Last edited:
The 63 makes a fantastic transport if you feed the +/- supply with a 50VA + transformer. Fit 2x large value caps (22000uF preferable)

You don't need to clock the dac either as it is not used when using as a transport run that 16.9 clock direct to the decoder. Clock the servo. Fit separate regs to the servo and decoder chip (4 in total). Fit caps like Oscon SEPC on the 5v rails to those chips after the regs. Once run and tested get rid of the fuses on the pcb as they do not help audio at all

Brent

When use as a transport and with output opamps removed, the 12V regulated dual supply theoritically can be used to drive servo section
Anybody tried that? Comments please

Thanks Ian, sounds tasty. So let me get this straight - this is not just replacing the toroid but building a seperate off-board regulated supply and feeding the servo section as a whole? Are you suggesting one pair of SPowers to feed all three driver ICs, or is that three pairs tied to the pins? I'm thinking I could do the big toroid first as it is way cheaper, but you're saying go for a 15v not a 12v in this case. Is that because SPowers need a lot of headroom? I'm getting there, but I still have a lot to learn before I can make all the connections. This is the guy who just discovered recently that he has Black Gates on his display supply :-/

btw, it's hard to get Nuvotem here. I've been looking at Hammond. They're quite a lot more expensive but not sure how they compare.

Last edited:
When use as a transport and with output opamps removed, the 12V regulated dual supply theoritically can be used to drive servo section
Anybody tried that? Comments please

It will work for sure however the transformer va will no be anywhere near the 50-100va that is being recommended and you will still need the large caps. The 22,000uF being suggested pre 5v has a large impact on the servo section so you'd want the same here. Try it, I'm not aware that anyone else here has??

Ben, offboard psu is great here. when I did mine, I used 3 pairs of SPowers. Obviously this is a massive outlay and not for everyone. You will get significant gains using a single pair for all 3 drivers to start. As far as I'm aware, the spower is the only commercial reg in a small
(to220) that can supply the current you want here. Does RS have a presence near you? They sell a few cheaper toroids.

Ben the analogue winding of the TX is no where near good enough. If you do not need the output remove the tx. Fit a new one in its place and then fit a small tx for display. Use my guide - The worlds greatest CD63 !. Look at the Servo Supply sch.

Ian thanks for mentioning the SPower ;) We do now recommend the SPower HC for the servo driver ic and outputs and the SPower 'D' (discrete regulator) for servo chips 5v rails.

We also have two new clocks coming out in 1 - 2 months. The C3 that is a replacement for C2 + Micro Clock 2 both using the Spower 'D' discrete regulation.

Brent

Very nice. That looks very flexible. I really want to work up to the regulated supply, but I'm putting it on the back burner for now. It's not just the cash - it's also space, because I'm not ready to break out of my box yet. So, I've taken the baby step option of ordering the 3 transformer values specified in Brent's guide - all three for $65 from RS. I wanted a 100VA+ for the servo, but it looks as though I only just about have enough space for a 50VA Nuvotem before I have to start hacking my tray and cross brace to pieces. Hopefully this will be a nice upgrade and I will still have room to fit my clock PSU when my XO2s arrive.

p.s. I'll definitely be getting SPowers for my DOS because I want to go all out on that when I get to it.

It will work for sure however the transformer va will no be anywhere near the 50-100va that is being recommended and you will still need the large caps. The 22,000uF being suggested pre 5v has a large impact on the servo section so you'd want the same here. Try it, I'm not aware that anyone else here has??

Ben, offboard psu is great here. when I did mine, I used 3 pairs of SPowers. Obviously this is a massive outlay and not for everyone. You will get significant gains using a single pair for all 3 drivers to start. As far as I'm aware, the spower is the only commercial reg in a small
(to220) that can supply the current you want here. Does RS have a presence near you? They sell a few cheaper toroids.

RS and Farnell are available. I may start with EI tx I have at hand
BTW notice there is a 3.6V, VF1 & VF2 and -24.5V, what are they for
Appreciate explanations

Many, many moons ago I modded two CD63s. I gave one to my friend who very much appreciated it. Just before Christmas he thought about buykng a new CD player and visited a hifi shop of his choice and compared his old CD63 to new offers in his price bracket. He ended up comparing the CD63 to the high-end players together with the stunned shop owner. A little sunshine story for all you modders.
My main advice from these days is:
- you can never match the resistors (10k and 27k) in the differential stage after the DAC chip too close. An absolute tight as possible match (within 0,1% or better) of these just makes WONDERS (buy a handful of 10k and 27k with tight tolerance and borrow a super resistance meter - or bring your own meter to the shop and ask to match them there with one of their super meter on display).
Happy modding!

Cool! :cool:

Always nice to stun people this way... :D. I had the pleasure once myself. This was my first modded player ever! Odd looks and laughs when an old CD63 entered the arena. Until I pressed the PLAY button...

Something completely different... Ben, if I recall correctly you are waiting for some Tentlabs XO's, right? Have you received anything yet?

Regards,

Ray

That's a really nice story, Zombie, thanks v. much for sharing.

Hi Ray, no, I e-mailed to ask for an update but I'm afraid I haven't heard anything back yet...

Quick follow-up PSU question: When I get my toroids, if I can fit all four of them in with room to spare, then can I run a regulated PSU like Ian was describing off a 2x 12VAC with enough headroom for regs like SPowers? Has anyone successfully crammed a 100VA servo supply into a 63 case?

Wow, nice pic Ian. Ha, I wondered how you did it. I'm feeling reasonably confident that the 50va Nuvotem I have coming will fit in that spot with only a slight modification to the cross brace. I wonder, has anyone ever tried removing the piece of tray with the yellow sticker on it? If that could go without causing problems when the tray is open then I bet it'd make room for a really big one.