Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Too long, I don't remember where to look at...
These days my CD43 -wich in terms of tracking has never been as fast as my regulated CD53 (both with regulated drivers)- sometimes starts to skip once in a while and end with a " tic-tic-tic-tic..." like the sled motor goes over the end and jump a theeth, then after a while stop playing and reading anything, no focus, no mech activity. Turn it off for few seconds and here we go for random playing time... It even does that with no disc, I mean played tunes in the morning, then no CD in, later I put a new CD and no focus, dead player.

I was thinking of a good and big TX for the drivers, but mind to fix it first now...

Thanks guys!
Matthieu

Christmas CDs are an annual horror that must be endured as far as I'm concerned. Good reason to have the lid off my player as much as possible this holiday season. I'm hoping to nudge my player into the 'wants to be taken seriously' category during my time off. I'm going to regulate the driver ICs and build Fleas for my DAC and servo (thanks to Ray's parts kits, currently on the back of Santa's sleigh).
Best wishes to all!

hi everyone just joined the forum after lurking way on this amazing thread for weeks...i've got a cd67se that i thought would never work again until i read through all this thread.
drawer was sticking opening closing you name,it was doing it and it wouldnt read discs just saying disc.

i read all this and worked out how to strip the transport down and cleaned what i believe to be a limit switch,only one i could find but that seems to have mostly cured the drawer prob.then i tweaked the pot on the laser a teeny bit and it's working!!!!
it's reading most discs ok,only failure so far is dave gilmour on an island[not copy],the drwaer doesnt close fully with that disc and even after nudging the drawer in it won't spin up,but the rest are fine so far
i loved this cd player nearly as much as me old cd 52 mk2 se yrs ago and was hunting on ebay for replacements when i found this thread and decided to have a crack at it.so thanks guys i'm really chuffed now.

the drawers not 100% i imagine it needs the grease renewing and maybe the belt? there's a prob with the analogue output jacks too some kind of loose connection maybe dry joint on the board? anyway thats the next thing to fix and i'll be onto doing some modding to it like you guys

think i may have spoken too soon...now it's been on for a few hours the drawers acting up again.
upon ejecting it just comes out 1/2-1 inch,then goes back in again spins up and reads it fine.can only imagine it's something to do with that switch perhaps? oh hang on wonder if putting it in service mode might tell me something?

well i worked out service mode ok,went thru mode 1 2 and 3 watched the laser moving when i used the ff and rew key and no errors came up.

i dont know whether you're supposed to have a disc in but i tried it both ways and no errors.so i'm supposing thats good news,just gotta get this dawer working properly now

Replace the belt ;-) That'll sort the loading! Just done it myself on a couple of 63's i've recently acquired! The original will have lost some elasticity by now and it wont grip the drive wheels.

Drop the tray off the mech and there is small plastic cover at the front of the mech. The wheels and belt live under there. You could try cleaning the belt with meths, but if its knackered, you could end up stretching it some more!

thanks i'll do that then...one thing any idea where i'd get one from?

i can see loads of cdm4 and cdm9 belts on ebay but nothing for cdm12.1 which i think is what i need?
even a quick google search turned up nothing..odd? oh and do i need to apply grease to some parts? sled? if so what kinds sutable....thanks

Cant remember the size but you dont need a specific "Marantz" belt, just a square section one the right size (or close!)

You could try something like this which probably has a belf close enough

Assorted belts

or someone like CPC or Farnell

CPC Belt selection

If you really must which is pointless!!! http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/cd48-belt-loading-marantz.htm

I'd also consider getting a laser fairly soon. I've not seen too many lasers last once they've been tweaked!!!

Last edited:
thanks thats a great help.i did look on cpc but there site was down at the time.just have to work out the size...wonder if it has it in the service manual?

yes i was wondering about the laser too...where would be good to order one of them from?
i've seen marantz ones for £65,in the link above it's almost 30 and from ebay sellers in china it's £9-15.ive read on one forum the chinese ones are fine as they come from one factory..daisy something or other...anyway i'm a bit confused as to what advice to take on choice.

now i'm sure i can fix all that,it isn't too hard,but i have a few questions for you all on the mods you've done.

i can use a soldering iron and test equip.i've worked on fixed and modded old valve guitar amps in the past and i know me way around a schem.
however this microelectronics is a different ball game,with terms i loosely understand sometimes and minituare components i'm unused to

what i'm unclear on is the opamp substitution and how to get the job done correctly.
Firstly where exactly on the board are these opamps which are substituted?
Next how do you remove the old ones?
desolder,solder sucker,use braid? i've done a few many yrs ago in old fx pedals,but i just kinda bodged my way thru getting em out and tidied up later.i've noticed lots of you install a carrier for the opamps to the board for easier snap-in substitution later-that looks like a good idea.

Sorry to sound like a bit of an amatuer but i've rarely if ever worked on components like this.i'm used to ptp wiring and turret boards etc,but i can manage it.

lastly could peeps chime in with what they thought were decent cost effective opamps to try? i've read this thread dozens of times and i do realise you've all said it before but it can take hrs and hrs to find that info.

Oh and lastly i've got a 67se,that means some of the caps etc are uprated from the 67 and from looking i can see some more obvious replacements,but which ones?
I'm gathering as it's got some uprated thats a job already done,but which ones?