Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Check out the 1st post. In the PDF that Ray originally uploaded, it is suggested that C605 and C606 are changed from 1000pF to 470pF (Bessel Filter). This changes the filter to design and should also help.

Ray's Audio Page

That's correct! And when your player is modded further, you can change it back again, because the sound should be more balanced then :D

Be aware that the lousy standard filter components (caps and resistors) are also a cause for this bright sound. Polystyrenes and precision resistors for around the opamps are highly recommended. Or build a DOS :D

Regards,

Ray

Alan. Low noise regs are the way forward. They're expensive, but you don't have to go to town on them like I have done to get amazing results.

Simply add one to the dac to supply all of its 5v pins and you'll get a massive upgrade. You can then add a psu which will bring a bit more separation.

What is your output stage?

Lee.
Lee,
My output stage is lm4562s decoupled with some bg 470uf 16v caps, dc caps removed along with mute trannies, and bypass hdam.
alan

Last edited:
My player is getting mental now. :mad: This is what happens:

1. 4 out of 5 times it doesn't power on. Nothing moving, no display, just a soft popping noise when powering off (because of C803/804 (10000uf cap) I found out, but I had this popping noise before without any other problems)
2. When it does power on it sounds great, but sometimes the sound gets distorted very much (only noise). The display is looking weird as well (random characters). The remote sometimes doesn't work
3. the drawer goes in faster than normal (out is okay)
4. service mode gives no errors

This is what I did for now:
- tried to find bad joint (twice)
- resoldert and cleaned the cables
- disassembled transport and put it together again

Before all of this happened I did some mods around the RF amp pcb, dac, regs 5v supply, changing caps in the power supply, output filter, so it's hard to tell where it went wrong.

Please help!!

1. 4 out of 5 times it doesn't power on. Nothing moving, no display, just a soft popping noise when powering off (because of C803/804 (10000uf cap) I found out, but I had this popping noise before without any other problems)
2. When it does power on it sounds great, but sometimes the sound gets distorted very much (only noise). The display is looking weird as well (random characters). The remote sometimes doesn't work

Before all of this happened I did some mods around the RF amp pcb, dac, regs 5v supply, changing caps in the power supply, output filter, so it's hard to tell where it went wrong.

Please help!!
Sounds like a psu fault to me have you removed muting trannies? would explain popping on power off.I would check voltages on 7805 5v fixed reg (the one with a heatsink on) front facing you pin on right, pin on left input
middle pin ground check voltage .
also check mains switch in player for operation,defo a psu prob you have .
cheers alan

Last edited:

Please help!!

The dodgy display is the ribbon or connector to the front panel playing up.

The popping is normal with no mute when powering down.

No power up could the on off switch.

Fast tray action and/or distortion could be the + or - rail being lower than the other causing an imbalance

You need to monitor the +/- v rails for the servo and also opamps

Brent

Last edited:

Please help!!

You need to check all of your soldering extremely carefully in good light. You're looking for dry joints or solder splashes. Gently rock each changed cap, diode, regulator, whatever you changed and check for movement of the solder.

And you could also check some voltages. If nothing's coming on and there's no voltage in there (there are various wire links that enable easy voltage testing) then you have a problem with the transformer, power switch or power lead. If it's a KI model the transformer leads may have become detached from the PCB.

Hey Simon, I've heard that said about B&Ws, but I don't think they're the problem here. They sound perfectly balanced to my ears playing the same albums on vinyl, and I have the same LM4562HA op-amp in my phono stage as I do in my 63KI. The treble was silky smooth before I removed the DC caps and my CD player and turntable were very difficult to tell apart.

Now, I'm just a beginner and this is probably complete nonsense, but from my listening impressions it's as though the DC caps were performing a smoothing/low pass function, blurring over the nasties to give the player a warm, vinyl-like sound. I do remember noticing a big change when I swapped the original Silmics for equivalent Black Gates, so maybe they are used to help give the player its 'voice'? I tried comparing a test tone sweep last night on both my player and a stock one and mine definitely gets louder as it gets higher. It's not all bad - mine definitely sounds far punchier and more exciting than the stock one, but the unnaturally loud siblants on the vocals are the deal breaker right now. I can persevere with changing the analogue filter caps as suggested and see if things improve, but if that doesn't work I might end up admitting defeat and putting the FKs back in - at least as an experiment (Doesn't the CD63 KI DP have Black Gates there?)

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I botched the bypass operation somehow. I might try resoldering the wire first. It's 19awg Kimber TCSS.

Well, you have revealing speakers and with all those mods on your amp that should be pretty revealing too! I'm afraid you've just got to press on and keep modifying until the sound becomes balanced once more. This is a classic case with the CD63, you have to get things worse before they become better. With all the jitter and PSU noise in the thing it's no wonder they sound bad when you upgrade the op-amps and bypass the output caps and HDAMs. Those things combine, in the standard player, to provide a cosy hi-fi shop-friendly sound that is pleasant on all CDs, good or bad. They not only hold back the overall fidelity but also the player's ability to reveal bad recordings, whilst balancing an otherwise quite bad sounding machine. If you want to reveal what's upstream you'd better make what's upstream pretty good! That means good power supplies and clocking.

The DC blocking caps aren't there to tune the player, they're there to block DC from reaching your amp. That said, I'm sure they were chosen to sound a certain way. If they're needed anyway, you may as well utilise them to help achieve the saleable character, the Marantz character of that era perhaps....

Never mind the DP version, it's really not worth looking at. I could better it with 30mins of tweaking and a few pounds or so spent. It has a certain mystique to it because it was sold at an artificially high price given its nature (a one-off for a magazine reviewer, but made available to the public so as to enable a review to be possible). We've seen inside it on this thread at some point and it's just a couple of caps changed, I think the DAC analogue decoupling electrolytics (to Black Gate) and some more blingy copper. It was probably supposed to be harmless fun but sadly a couple of people actually bought it (sad because sonically speaking, it will be very mediocre).

Simon

Last edited:
A cap is only too big if it physically can't fit in the space or nearby. Usually 6,800-22,000uF is aimed for. This cap smooths a voltage rail which feeds about 15 circuits in the player, which is why it's so amazingly critical. Many of these are fed after the solitary 5V regulator, some are from the unregulated supply straight from that cap (ie. servo driver op-amps, which are super-important in this player).