Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yep I used a 27 ohm 2W resistor from star to earth on IEC socket to eliminate a small hum. The small hum was actually caused by another piece of equipment. I have a resistor on all my equipment now.

Brent

Hi Brent

Why did you use a 27ohm instead of the "popular" 10r in that placement ?

Some add a small cap // with the resistor so equipment stays connected to Earth in the high frequencies... Is this important ?

Regards

Ricardo

The output on the dos seems quite low compared to before with an opamp. Is there a resistor change that will increase it again?

You are right, but since the CFP seems it's no more the case? Ray?

Dunno, the output should be the same as the opamp filter. I've simulated the DOS to give the same output. Are you sure you used the correct emitter resistors R7/R8? They should be 600 ohm with 1k5 for R3/R4.

A way to test this is to burn a 1kHz/0dB wave file to CD and measure the output amplitude. It should be 2Vrms or 5.6Vpp.

Ray

innards first

my first attempt

Attachments

• P1020559.JPG
    P1020559.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 164
Nice one Alan!!! :)

Must be time to think about those regs on the driver ic's now!!! Lol ;)

There is a pic that it did with the service manual showing the traces a few posts back.

Also, as suggested, get the CPU on it's own 5v reg. The 340 will be fine here.

Also, definitely save and try an SPower for the dac analogue rails but be warned, once you are on the path, there is no going back!!!! ;)
Thx for all your advice spot on .
big difference in the63 now.totally better player than the ki whats next?
thanks alan .:D

Dunno, the output should be the same as the opamp filter. I've simulated the DOS to give the same output. Are you sure you used the correct emitter resistors R7/R8? They should be 600 ohm with 1k5 for R3/R4.

A way to test this is to burn a 1kHz/0dB wave file to CD and measure the output amplitude. It should be 2Vrms or 5.6Vpp.

Ray

Hi,

I'm using 680 for R7/8 (nearest I could get) with 1K5 for R3/4. Maybe that explains it.

Regards
Pete

There's a limit! Money being one. I have sent the player 6 (?) times to Brent, from France to the UK. The time before it got pretty badly banged up in transport, so there's that to consider as well. Sometime this year I will cross my fingers and send it for the C2 clock and anything else that Brent thinks will be usefull. I think Mal. you were asking about the big caps? They are the Muldorfs that Brent has had made... "Si" on his site. If I were going to have a resistor change it would be for the Vishay S'foils, which are in my amp.
If someone wants a C1 clock, it will be up for grabs when I do the C2 change-over.
I'm making some final udjustments to the wooden cheeks and will post pictures when it's all back together and looking purdy. It may sound dumb but the cosmetic change seems to have a psychological effect on how I perceive the sound! I also added a lot of mass by glueing lead sheet to the bottom and the case is more ridged with the wooden cheeks (which are screwed on).