Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

You are that naughty?! Poor stock CD63, VDac or not... (have a try without the VDac also).
About my english, how that can be? The ONLY place I use it is here, and I've never been in UK or anywhere I could have. I may talk to Sarko's advisors to let kids learn on audio forums then! ;)

Simon and Alan, maybe I'm wrong but seems the XO is still here?
You mean ive left the xtal insitu yes i did but i cut track 1 on the dac to isolate it from the xtal circuit , ala clock hack.
sharp eyes you have malefoda
alan

You are that naughty?! Poor stock CD63, VDac or not... (have a try without the VDac also).
About my english, how that can be? The ONLY place I use it is here, and I've never been in UK or anywhere I could have. I may talk to Sarko's advisors to let kids learn on audio forums then! ;)

Simon and Alan, maybe I'm wrong but seems the XO is still here?

Well you must be improving by inverse osmosis! The poor 63' with the Vdac is a great improvement without it. It's quite alright but still rather mechanical and rough in comparison. I am relieved! I guess my mail to you Simon is floating somewhere on the net. I will just have to take better pictures.
By the way, does anyone know a reliable address either in the states or UK to upgrade an aging AudibleIllusions Preamp. My friend here has had mine for 20years and aside for a tube change, has done nothing to it. We agree it's about time! I was thinking along the lines of better caps and resistors at the very least. He wants to take the phono circuit out too. Doesn't want to spend a lot of money. It's a very simple and good pre. and shouldn't be hard to do.

Last edited:
Still difficulties with the driver regs, it's not a mod for beginners apparently. I tried to reverse 2 of them so they would be in same line as the pictures from Brent's cdp. That didn't work. The transport went mental! :gnasher: So I got all the regs out. Nothing. :eek: I thought I fried the player!!

After some poking around with the soldering iron it played again! What a releave!!! And it sounds much better than with the regs! (except for the bass) Promised myself never to do any mods again if I got it working again. But that was an hour ago :)

Now I'd like to try the simple driver regs mod. I found this picture, but I couldn't find a complete instruction. Can anyone help me how do I install the 7808/7908 and where? I wanna make sure I do it right this time... I kind of mis the nice bass.

Attachments

• cd63_servo simpel regs.jpg
    cd63_servo simpel regs.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 153
Find the post of Glenn from wich this pics is from, I think it was with instructions. The regs go instead of U234 (7908) and instead of U237 (7808), in on the big cap side, out at the right side of the drawing, ground on the top ground plane or if you can with a wire to U274, on top between the big caps. Remove U161 and add a wire like the blue line.
Done.
Wonder if a cap is needed on the output/gnd reg's pins, or not.
The low CD54/43 guys advice: LM340 AT 5V at the main 5V reg, styroflex cap 2n2 IIRC, at decoder HF input.

Just finished my clock fitting dont laugh at my work ,:eek: im only a mechanic.
Many thanks to ian and simon for your help and patience.

alan:drink:

Nice one Alan!!! :)

Must be time to think about those regs on the driver ic's now!!! Lol ;)

There is a pic that it did with the service manual showing the traces a few posts back.

Also, as suggested, get the CPU on it's own 5v reg. The 340 will be fine here.

Also, definitely save and try an SPower for the dac analogue rails but be warned, once you are on the path, there is no going back!!!! ;)

Got some lm340at sitting spare more info plz .
alan
I cant fully remember how I did this on the 63 but looking at the layout Im pretty sure I removed U133 and fed RF01 with a new reg.
I do this to all CDPs now.
U133feeds the processor and the front panel if my memory is right.

Attachments

• 63Processor.jpg
    63Processor.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Finally got round to dossing my 67, only the earlier version though.

Not the neatest job but on the plus side it worked first time.

First impressions weren't great, it seemed a bit muffled to start with but it seems to be getting better after an hours playing. Hopefully it will continue to improve. Odd though, as the caps were all in use in the player before.

Pete

Attachments

• Photo0011.jpg
    Photo0011.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 154